528 I Oil Separator/Crankcase Vent Valve/PCV Valve cold weather hazzards - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
chris528 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
528 I Oil Separator/Crankcase Vent Valve/PCV Valve cold weather hazzards

I recently purchased my one owner 97 528I form out of state. I live in northern Minnesota and it didn't take long for me to run into a problem that is wide spread through the BMW world. In cold climates the "PCV" valve builds moisture and will stick or freeze, causing the intake to fill with motor oil, possibly blowing the valve cover gasket, and possibly the motor. It also may only cause gray smoke during cool weather start. I think this problem can effect any E39 5 series, E46 3 series, E53 X5, E60 5 series, E83 X3, and E85 Z4 with an M54 motor. If you have further info on this problem please let me know. The BMW Service Bulletin Number is SI B 11 08 03. I was hoping to find the repair parts somewhere besides the dealer, because there different then the factory equipment, I haven't had any luck any where else. Why isn't this a recall item????:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 01:27 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Wow, I had no idea. Good luck.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 11:41 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
theyre gonna be dealer-only. parts have been updated with insulated versions. why not a recall? probably because not enough cases to merit a recall.

DT

#4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
the m62 suffers from a similar issue... which it the oil seperator valve......

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 AM
KWS
n00b

KWS is on a distinguished road
X5Crank Case Vent Valve 2011 Version

My vehilce's full factory warrantey expired end of July 2010. I now have the extended "Certified Series warranty"
2006 X5 with just 80K
Going north on Royal York near Bloor last week and the verhicle dies. Thinking it was a simple alternator as the battery was dead as well, I had it towed ($160) to a garage that does oil changes and tires for me - pretty staright forward to do an alternator - so I thought.

Get a report the engine is seized, no oild and it needs to be repalced - used engine plus labour around $7,000.
Did I mention this vehicle had ful warranty less than 6 months ago?
Had it towed to Endras BMW in Durham ($500) and the good news is that it was a hydralic lock caused by a "Crank Case Vent Valve" but that was only the good news for a while - the rods may have been bent which means about a $14,000 bill from BMW - NICE,
Did I mention this vehilce has less 80K and is had full waranty until 6 months ago?

Good news rods were not bent.

Thorough this, I also learn that BMW is aware this is a manufactures defect and will cover the valve - not the spark plus, oil change and related issues to this manufactures defect - so far, with towing, cabs, having to reset meeting as they did not give me a rental car - and we are now at close to $3,000 and they are paying for the valve - NICE.

What about the liability i now have with someone in my vehicle and I am going up the 400 to go skiing and this happens again in the middle of the highway and we get rammed by a transport as when this thing goes, it is DEAD, no four ways, nothing.

What about the perosn who is travelling up north with his young family, gets lost, no cell service in the middle of no where and this happens, its 40 below - he has a problem and BMW knows about this and does nothing NICE!!

Any advice on how to pressure them into proetcting the people from this negligence would be appreciated.

kwssmith@hotmail.com
#6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 AM
KWS
n00b

KWS is on a distinguished road
X5Crank Case Vent Valve 2011 Version

My vehilce's full factory warrantey expired end of July 2010. I now have the extended "Certified Series warranty"
2006 X5 with just 80K
Going north on Royal York near Bloor last week and the verhicle dies. Thinking it was a simple alternator as the battery was dead as well, I had it towed ($160) to a garage that does oil changes and tires for me - pretty staright forward to do an alternator - so I thought.

Get a report the engine is seized, no oild and it needs to be repalced - used engine plus labour around $7,000.
Did I mention this vehicle had ful warranty less than 6 months ago?
Had it towed to Endras BMW in Durham ($500) and the good news is that it was a hydralic lock caused by a "Crank Case Vent Valve" but that was only the good news for a while - the rods may have been bent which means about a $14,000 bill from BMW - NICE,
Did I mention this vehilce has less 80K and is had full waranty until 6 months ago?

Good news - rods were not bent.

Thorough this, I also learn that BMW is aware this is a manufactures defect and will cover the valve - not the spark plus, oil change and related issues to this manufactures defect - so far, with towing, cabs, having to reset meeting as they did not give me a rental car - and we are now at close to $3,000 and they are paying for the valve - NICE.

What about the liability i now have with someone in my vehicle and I am going up the 400 to go skiing and this happens again in the middle of the highway and we get rammed by a transport as when this thing goes, it is DEAD, no four ways, nothing.

What about the perosn who is travelling up north with his young family, gets lost, no cell service in the middle of no where and this happens, its 40 below - he has a problem and BMW knows about this and does nothing NICE!!

Any advice on how to pressure them into protecting the people from this negligence would be appreciated.

kwssmith@hotmail.com

Last edited by KWS; 02-03-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: spelling
#7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM
n00b

izzyinstl is on a distinguished road
Bav Auto sells a kit for this part number 11 15 1 484 KIT Crankcase Ventilation Kit $119.95 It does include the cold weather upgrade if your production year is a certain one. I have a 97 528i but the production was 07/96 so i dont think it is an option for me. It comes with both hoses. Be sure to clean out (push) any accumulation from the oil dip stick tube connection. You can do it yourself by removing the air intake up to the throttle body. Its below the intake manifold three 10mm bolts hold it on.

Just saw the OP was from 08 lol sorry

Last edited by izzyinstl; 03-08-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)