BMW Werkz banner

528 I Oil Separator/Crankcase Vent Valve/PCV Valve cold weather hazzards

13K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  izzyinstl 
#1 ·
I recently purchased my one owner 97 528I form out of state. I live in northern Minnesota and it didn't take long for me to run into a problem that is wide spread through the BMW world. In cold climates the "PCV" valve builds moisture and will stick or freeze, causing the intake to fill with motor oil, possibly blowing the valve cover gasket, and possibly the motor. It also may only cause gray smoke during cool weather start. I think this problem can effect any E39 5 series, E46 3 series, E53 X5, E60 5 series, E83 X3, and E85 Z4 with an M54 motor. If you have further info on this problem please let me know. The BMW Service Bulletin Number is SI B 11 08 03. I was hoping to find the repair parts somewhere besides the dealer, because there different then the factory equipment, I haven't had any luck any where else. Why isn't this a recall item????:

#2 ·
Wow, I had no idea. Good luck.

#4 ·
the m62 suffers from a similar issue... which it the oil seperator valve......

#5 ·
X5Crank Case Vent Valve 2011 Version

My vehilce's full factory warrantey expired end of July 2010. I now have the extended "Certified Series warranty"
2006 X5 with just 80K
Going north on Royal York near Bloor last week and the verhicle dies. Thinking it was a simple alternator as the battery was dead as well, I had it towed ($160) to a garage that does oil changes and tires for me - pretty staright forward to do an alternator - so I thought.

Get a report the engine is seized, no oild and it needs to be repalced - used engine plus labour around $7,000.
Did I mention this vehicle had ful warranty less than 6 months ago?
Had it towed to Endras BMW in Durham ($500) and the good news is that it was a hydralic lock caused by a "Crank Case Vent Valve" but that was only the good news for a while - the rods may have been bent which means about a $14,000 bill from BMW - NICE,
Did I mention this vehilce has less 80K and is had full waranty until 6 months ago?

Good news rods were not bent.

Thorough this, I also learn that BMW is aware this is a manufactures defect and will cover the valve - not the spark plus, oil change and related issues to this manufactures defect - so far, with towing, cabs, having to reset meeting as they did not give me a rental car - and we are now at close to $3,000 and they are paying for the valve - NICE.

What about the liability i now have with someone in my vehicle and I am going up the 400 to go skiing and this happens again in the middle of the highway and we get rammed by a transport as when this thing goes, it is DEAD, no four ways, nothing.

What about the perosn who is travelling up north with his young family, gets lost, no cell service in the middle of no where and this happens, its 40 below - he has a problem and BMW knows about this and does nothing NICE!!

Any advice on how to pressure them into proetcting the people from this negligence would be appreciated.

kwssmith@hotmail.com

#6 · (Edited)
X5Crank Case Vent Valve 2011 Version

My vehilce's full factory warrantey expired end of July 2010. I now have the extended "Certified Series warranty"
2006 X5 with just 80K
Going north on Royal York near Bloor last week and the verhicle dies. Thinking it was a simple alternator as the battery was dead as well, I had it towed ($160) to a garage that does oil changes and tires for me - pretty staright forward to do an alternator - so I thought.

Get a report the engine is seized, no oild and it needs to be repalced - used engine plus labour around $7,000.
Did I mention this vehicle had ful warranty less than 6 months ago?
Had it towed to Endras BMW in Durham ($500) and the good news is that it was a hydralic lock caused by a "Crank Case Vent Valve" but that was only the good news for a while - the rods may have been bent which means about a $14,000 bill from BMW - NICE,
Did I mention this vehilce has less 80K and is had full waranty until 6 months ago?

Good news - rods were not bent.

Thorough this, I also learn that BMW is aware this is a manufactures defect and will cover the valve - not the spark plus, oil change and related issues to this manufactures defect - so far, with towing, cabs, having to reset meeting as they did not give me a rental car - and we are now at close to $3,000 and they are paying for the valve - NICE.

What about the liability i now have with someone in my vehicle and I am going up the 400 to go skiing and this happens again in the middle of the highway and we get rammed by a transport as when this thing goes, it is DEAD, no four ways, nothing.

What about the perosn who is travelling up north with his young family, gets lost, no cell service in the middle of no where and this happens, its 40 below - he has a problem and BMW knows about this and does nothing NICE!!

Any advice on how to pressure them into protecting the people from this negligence would be appreciated.

kwssmith@hotmail.com

#7 · (Edited)
Bav Auto sells a kit for this part number 11 15 1 484 KIT Crankcase Ventilation Kit $119.95 It does include the cold weather upgrade if your production year is a certain one. I have a 97 528i but the production was 07/96 so i dont think it is an option for me. It comes with both hoses. Be sure to clean out (push) any accumulation from the oil dip stick tube connection. You can do it yourself by removing the air intake up to the throttle body. Its below the intake manifold three 10mm bolts hold it on.

Just saw the OP was from 08 lol sorry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.