525i Window Tinting - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
christy is on a distinguished road
525i Window Tinting

I am being told that I cannot have window tinting on my 2005 525i without giving up radio reception and bluetooth. I am having trouble with this logic...say it ain't so. Doesn't make any logical sense to me. Is my dealership just trying to blow me off????
christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
the Ant. is built into the glass
seen them tinted without any issues...
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
The tint goes on the inside so it wont have any effect on the radio reception. The signal is already there at the antenna before the tint. As far as the bluetooth, I cant think of any reason why it wouldnt work, unless you use a metallic film (most of the high end stuff is), but bluetooth 2 (most personal BT devices) is supposed to work up to 10 meters. I am not 100% sure where the BT unit is located, but it would seem to me that it would be in the radio itself, not in the rear window. That would be the ONLY thing I would think might give an issue, if the BT antenna is in the rear window. Contact a car audio shop or an actual tint shop that has been established for a long time and ask them the same question. I tinted for 10+ years at a car audio shop. I never had an issue with radio. I quit before the BT came into action. If I was a gambling man, I'd put my bets on it'll work just fine.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
christy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info...You would think the dealership would already know this. My car has been there for 8 days. Am I crazy??? I will take your answers to them. Makes perfect sense to me.

Christy
christy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy View Post
Thanks for the info...You would think the dealership would already know this. My car has been there for 8 days. Am I crazy??? I will take your answers to them. Makes perfect sense to me.

Christy
just tell them to anyway:

O By The Way I know on my car the Bluetooth thing is in the rear driver side C-pillar
(the one holding the driver side of the rear glass) and wont be affected...
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by christy View Post

Christy
I have found that dealers dont really know much more than how to change the oil and wiper blades. I cant count the number of times a "dealer" thought that the remote starter I just installed was the cause of something not working on the car (not just BMW's, any car). So the customer came back mad because the dealer said it was our fault.

My only recourse was to remove what I had installed, showed the customer that their car still has the same problem, and THEN the dealer found the problem with the car. Then I reinstalled the equipment (at the customers expense, because we told them up front it has nothing to do with the remote start, and we would charge them if we removed and reinstalled it).

I would still check with a car audio shop, just because they deal with this kind of stuff on a regular basis. "Dealers" mainly deal with scheduled maintenance and 12volt electronics baffle most of them. Dont get me wrong a mechanic could probably run circles around me doing a head gasket replacement, or a transmission rebuild, but as far as 12volt stuff goes, stick with the people that do 12volt stuff every day of the week.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)