525i Clickity-clack Noises - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 09:16 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rowdyman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello to all:
New to forum, 1995 525i new to me, and intermittant clickity-clack noises are new sounds from engine. I pinpointed noises as coming from a metal cannister, front left and top part of the engine just behind the top radiator hose. Cannister is about the size of an oil filter, appears to have a lid on held on by a nut at the top. I will buy a self-help manual tomorrow, but until then any help would be appreciated. What is that cannister and what could be causing the clickity-clack noises.

Thanks in advance
Rowdyman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Moderator
 
Dirty_Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Rowdyman@Dec 17 2004, 06:16 PM
Hello to all:
New to forum, 1995 525i new to me, and intermittant clickity-clack noises are new sounds from engine. I pinpointed noises as coming from a metal cannister, front left and top part of the engine just behind the top radiator hose. Cannister is about the size of an oil filter, appears to have a lid on held on by a nut at the top. I will buy a self-help manual tomorrow, but until then any help would be appreciated. What is that cannister and what could be causing the clickity-clack noises.

Thanks in advance
[snapback]253534[/snapback]
Sounds like the oil filter canister. It probablty isnt making the noise but more likely the noise is coming from something connected to it, likely causes would be the water pump, or possibly a belt tensioner pulley. With the engine off grab the front engine fan and try wiggling it while watching the pulley on the water pump, see if there is a lot of play there, if so then the waterpump bearing is prob shot. beyond that you may want to listen to it while running with a stethescope or long screwdriver acting as a stethescope to narrow down where the noise is coming from.
DT

DT




Dirty_Tool is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Millions of them.
 
Torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 14,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
I believe that is the evaporator for the AC. It's probably not tightened to the rest of the engine bay and it rattles back and forth.

Torque is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Moderator
 
Dirty_Tool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Torque@Dec 17 2004, 09:48 PM
I believe that is the evaporator for the AC. It's probably not tightened to the rest of the engine bay and it rattles back and forth.
[snapback]253631[/snapback]
Are you serious?

DT




Dirty_Tool is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 02:52 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rowdyman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Unfortunately 3 different auto parts stores do not have 1995 maintenance manuals. Went out this morning started the BMW and listened again with stethoscope. The clickity-clack sounds are definately coming from that cannister. I moved the stethoscope all round the engine, even where the cannister is mounted and the sound is very loud from the cannister. Maybe a better description of the sound is that my gas engine now sounds like a diesel engine. I checked the fan for movement thinking it might be water pump bearings but it is solid. Whatever is in that cannister it sounds like it is turning or atleast has some rotary movement. Monday I will take it into the shop.
Rowdyman is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 11:20 AM
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Rowdyman@Dec 18 2004, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately 3 different auto parts stores do not have 1995 maintenance manuals. Went out this morning started the BMW and listened again with stethoscope. The clickity-clack sounds are definately coming from that cannister. I moved the stethoscope all round the engine, even where the cannister is mounted and the sound is very loud from the cannister. Maybe a better description of the sound is that my gas engine now sounds like a diesel engine. I checked the fan for movement thinking it might be water pump bearings but it is solid. Whatever is in that cannister it sounds like it is turning or atleast has some rotary movement. Monday I will take it into the shop.
[snapback]253836[/snapback]
Order the bentley service manual for the e34, it is one of the best manuals out there.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
d3ity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
95 525i engine TDC w/VANOS yaofeng 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 0 11-06-2005 06:39 PM
E28 - Is The Radiator The Same On The 525i & 528i? roscoa1 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 0 01-08-2005 03:28 PM
325i vs 525i Bengal94 3-Series (E46, E90) 2 10-25-2003 10:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome