BMW Werkz banner

518i saloon d reg

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BeelZibub 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've been offered a D reg 518i saloon.
Never owned a 'beemer' before so I''d appreciate any info.
I'm used to the likes of 2.9 V6i 4X4Ghia Granada's and 2ltr DOHC Sierra's.

The OH likes the BMW although he can't drive.

This car is a Gold Metallic and in almost mint condition. The insurance is no more than my current car which is a crappy Orion. I'm desperate for a 'decent' motor.

Are these a good car to drive? Not driven it yet!!

Are they reasonably economical for the size??

Is there anything, in particular, I should look for??

It's sat for 6 months, only being turned over once a week, as the previous owner. A 72 yr old, who's had it 9 yrs, has cataracts and can't drive anymore.

What kind of price should I be looking at?? I'm on the North East if that makes a difference?

Raggasand

See less See more
#2 ·
a 518? hrm...never seen that before... ahh, an older vehicle.. Bimmers tend to age gracefully.

I cant speak to the 518, but i can tell you, there is nothing like a BMW. Hell, i own three and would GLADLY buy another one.

#3 ·
Originally posted by d3ity@Sep 12 2004, 09:28 PM
a 518? hrm...never seen that before... ahh, an older vehicle.. Bimmers tend to age gracefully.

I cant speak to the 518, but i can tell you, there is nothing like a BMW. Hell, i own three and would GLADLY buy another one.
its a diesel model. he lives out of the US

#4 ·
It's most likely not a diesel at all! It's a 1.8 ltr engine and could be petrol OR diesel. I wouldn't touch the underpowered lump with a shitty stick nor would I piss on it if it were on fire. You dont seen to get the e34 with less that the 2.5 ltr or the e39 with less than the 2.8 ltr over there in the states - Have you ever heard of an e39 523 (like mine) it's a 170 bhp 2.5 ltr not a 2.3ltr like most assume.

Raggasand - The car itself is most likely a decent car but an 1.8 in such a big car hardly makes for a speed machine! And if it is a 1.8 diesel you'll be able to walk faster

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.