518 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:46 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
520i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi, just picked up a 79 518 with 278 thousand km on the clock. I picked up the car for 300 bucks only because i wanna put in a different power plant. The engine is in very good shape other then a small oil leak and runs and idles well for age and mileage except down on power (66kw). I wanna put in somethin that has power, preferably 150hp+, just not sure what kinda engine would fit. I would like to leave the transmission in if possible because its fine except kinda clunky when car in motion, probably needs fluid or something, not sure though. have to get under and check when get time. Brake hoses are gone which i found out the hard way when foot sank to the floor and only right front worked causing it to lock up and pull to the right. The hoses arent a problem to change though. Other then that, the body is in really good shape, no rust or dents. Paint is faded but itll get a new coat so not worryin about it. Also would anybody know what type this car is, E12,E28 or maybe somethin else. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by 520i@Apr 22 2005, 06:46 AM
Hi, just picked up a 79 518 with 278 thousand km on the clock. I picked up the car for 300 bucks only because i wanna put in a different power plant. The engine is in very good shape other then a small oil leak and runs and idles well for age and mileage except down on power (66kw). I wanna put in somethin that has power, preferably 150hp+, just not sure what kinda engine would fit. I would like to leave the transmission in if possible because its fine except kinda clunky when car in motion, probably needs fluid or something, not sure though. have to get under and check when get time. Brake hoses are gone which i found out the hard way when foot sank to the floor and only right front worked causing it to lock up and pull to the right. The hoses arent a problem to change though. Other then that, the body is in really good shape, no rust or dents. Paint is faded but itll get a new coat so not worryin about it. Also would anybody know what type this car is, E12,E28 or maybe somethin else. Thanks in advance
[snapback]336422[/snapback]
its an e12
sounds like youre in europe?
you might be able to find a e12 euro spec m5 engine. probably pretty rare but they had 218HP and are designed for that chassis.

#3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Ok, thanks a lot, yea im in germany so ill have a look around in a few junkyards and see what i can find. 218 would do the job.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
FInd a m20 from a e30 325... very reliable and has 170 hp.

oh, and you can get them very cheap as there is thousands of e30s everywhere...

#5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 03:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Do you think that would bolt up to the trans or would I have to get that as well? Oh, and prob a stupid question but is it a 4 or 6 cylinder?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:32 PM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
the m5 will be a 6 cyl. as well as the 325i engine.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by 520i@Apr 23 2005, 03:32 AM
Do you think that would bolt up to the trans or would I have to get that as well? Oh, and prob a stupid question but is it a 4 or 6 cylinder?
[snapback]336740[/snapback]
6 cylinder 2.5 liter.

#8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 04:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ok great. Ive started lookin around in a few near by junkyards to see what they had, no luck unfortunately but still lookin. Oh and for the 325 engine, is there a specific year that would fit the chassis or does that not matter. If it doesnt matter, then ill try to get the newest one possible. Thanks
#9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Millions of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by 520i@Apr 29 2005, 04:16 PM
ok great. Ive started lookin around in a few near by junkyards to see what they had, no luck unfortunately but still lookin. Oh and for the 325 engine, is there a specific year that would fit the chassis or does that not matter. If it doesnt matter, then ill try to get the newest one possible. Thanks
[snapback]339261[/snapback]
they should all fit just fine... 5 series has plenty of room.

#10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:44 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Torque+Apr 29 2005, 03:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Torque @ Apr 29 2005, 03:01 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-520i@Apr 29 2005, 04:16 PM
[snapback]339261[/snapback]
they should all fit just fine... 5 series has plenty of room.
[snapback]339293[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

the e12 is LOTS smaller than e34 and e28 so fitment may not be as easy as it seems. However, that m20 engine came out of 88 - 91 3 series (make sure its an i car, not an e) and it came in the 88 - 90 e34s (88 e34s were only avail. in Europe, so you should be ok) It was also in some pre 88 5s and 84 - 87 3 series, but those were the e engines I mentioned. Plenty of torque, lack in the HP and can't rev high.

#11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 10:15 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks a lot for all ur replies, appreciate it. I was thinkin bout it and another question popped into mind. when i do find the engine, what else to i need to take beside hte engine of course. I was thinkin hte radiator and hosing, all components attached to engine block, alternator etc, and also what about the computer, would the comp that the 1.8 is runnin off work on the m20? Sry for askin so many questions but im a relative newbie and dont know to much about it, especially when it comes to engine swaps. thanks
#12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 04:50 PM
Millions of them.

Quote:
Originally posted by 520i@Apr 30 2005, 10:15 AM
Thanks a lot for all ur replies, appreciate it. I was thinkin bout it and another question popped into mind. when i do find the engine, what else to i need to take beside hte engine of course. I was thinkin hte radiator and hosing, all components attached to engine block, alternator etc, and also what about the computer, would the comp that the 1.8 is runnin off work on the m20? Sry for askin so many questions but im a relative newbie and dont know to much about it, especially when it comes to engine swaps. thanks
[snapback]339502[/snapback]
You need everything you can get from it... computer, hoses, radiator, all the wires etc. so basically when the area under the hood of the donor car becomes completely empty, you stop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)