BMW Werkz banner

Is 4800 Rpm Engine Cut Out Normal?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  WindowPro 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2000 540i six speed.

Is it normal for the engine to cutout at about 4800 RPM when running up through the gears? Is this some kind of rev limiter? Just wondering if this is normal and can it be tweaked? Without looking I think redline is around 5800 - 6000 RPM's.

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
Originally posted by WindowPro@Oct 29 2004, 08:13 PM

Is it normal for the engine to cutout at about 4800 RPM when running up through the gears? Is this some kind of rev limiter? Just wondering if this is normal and can it be tweaked? Without looking I think redline is around 5800 - 6000 RPM's.

Thanks for the help!
[snapback]220799[/snapback]​
Not sure on the v's, but on the 6 cyl's redline is around 6500 I think. And cars will always go into the red before the limiter kicks in So I'd say No it's certainly not normal - I'll be perfectly honest though at this point I have no idea what it may be.

I'll try digging around a bit when I get the chance - let us know if you find the prob or if you have any more details.

BLZ :devil

#4 ·
Originally posted by BeelZibub+Oct 29 2004, 03:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeelZibub @ Oct 29 2004, 03:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-WindowPro@Oct 29 2004, 08:13 PM

Is it normal for the engine to cutout at about 4800 RPM when running up through the gears?  Is this some kind of rev limiter?  Just wondering if this is normal and can it be tweaked? Without looking I think redline is around 5800 - 6000 RPM's. 

Thanks for the help!
Not sure on the v's, but on the 6 cyl's redline is around 6500 I think. And cars will always go into the red before the limiter kicks in So I'd say No it's certainly not normal - I'll be perfectly honest though at this point I have no idea what it may be.

I'll try digging around a bit when I get the chance - let us know if you find the prob or if you have any more details.

[snapback]220805[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Thanks All -- Still searching for answers!

#5 ·
Originally posted by WindowPro+Oct 29 2004, 01:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WindowPro @ Oct 29 2004, 01:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Oct 29 2004, 03:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-WindowPro
@Oct 29 2004, 08:13 PM

Is it normal for the engine to cutout at about 4800 RPM when running up through the gears?  Is this some kind of rev limiter?  Just wondering if this is normal and can it be tweaked? Without looking I think redline is around 5800 - 6000 RPM's. 

Thanks for the help!

[snapback]220814[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I have the same car and the limiter doesn't kick in until it reaches 6000 rpm. That definitely isn't normal.

#6 ·
Originally posted by dagoo98+Oct 29 2004, 04:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dagoo98 @ Oct 29 2004, 04:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by WindowPro@Oct 29 2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Oct 29 2004, 03:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-WindowPro
@Oct 29 2004, 08:13 PM

Thanks for the help!

[snapback]220814[/snapback]​
I have the same car and the limiter doesn't kick in until it reaches 6000 rpm. That definitely isn't normal.
[snapback]220831[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I am not sure if the previous owner ran Super Unleaded or not. When I purchased the car it only had 1/8th of a tank and I'm sure it wasn't Super.

Super is all I have ever run in my vehicles. I filled the tank this morning -- maybe run a little fuel injection additive through? Had to do this frequently on the Rover. Always seemed to clear up any missing issues. Maybe first place to start?

Thanks for the help!

#7 ·
Big difference between an engine missing and an engine cutting out. If it's cutting out as if the rev limiter is engaging, then fuel injection additive won't solve problem.

#8 ·
Originally posted by frank3@Oct 29 2004, 08:44 PM
Big difference between an engine missing and an engine cutting out.  If it's cutting out as if the rev limiter is engaging, then fuel injection additive won't solve problem.
[snapback]220952[/snapback]​
The engine is "missing" rather than "cutting out".

What should I expect as far as a MPG average. Of course, for the first few days I am sure to have my "foot in it" a little more than normal. What are other owners experiencing? I am averaging around 16MPG ... still much better than the Rover! However, I thought I should get more like 18-20? Don't know?

If I am experiencing poor fuel economy and missing -- could the O2 Sensor cause this?
Also, I thought maybe fuel filter may be clogged? -- but because the "missing" occurs consistantly in every gear between 4800- 5200 RPM, that doesn't seem to make sense.

To me it seems more like a timing or computer issue??? ... Searching now! Won't be able to see the Doc until Monday. ARGH!

Any suggestions?

BTW this car has 100,000 miles on it.

#11 ·
Originally posted by sp0rky@Oct 30 2004, 09:54 PM
Could be fuel starvation...

or timing or computer or a million other things. On something like this, it's best just to take it in. Type of gas shouldnt matter, it won't cause this kind of problem.
[snapback]221426[/snapback]​
Seeing the mechanic Monday. BTW -- Check Engine light is not on? Purchasing the Peake diagnostic Monday too.

Hey BillB -- did you purchase yours direct from Peake or a reseller?

Thanks

Jim

#12 ·
Check out the photo under my user name ... 48 hours old (ok for me -- just want to enjoy this a little).

Yes -- she's totally stock (virgin) ... not for long though. Enjoy your purity honey -- it's not going to last! He He :D

Trying to figure out the signature...Will post better pics with sig.

#13 ·
Originally posted by WindowPro@Oct 31 2004, 12:12 AM
Check out the photo under my user name ... 48 hours old (ok for me -- just want to enjoy this a little).

Yes -- she's totally stock (virgin) ... not for long though. Enjoy your purity honey -- it's not going to last! He He :D

[snapback]221501[/snapback]​
$)*)()(#
Still no photo! Need to start a new post to see photo? Surely not. My fault guys and gals -- I did a preview but assumed it would not show until I replied???

#14 ·
Originally posted by WindowPro+Oct 31 2004, 12:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WindowPro @ Oct 31 2004, 12:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-WindowPro@Oct 31 2004, 12:12 AM

Yes -- she's totally stock (virgin) ... not for long though.  Enjoy your purity honey -- it's not going to last! He He  :D

[snapback]221501[/snapback]​
$)*)()(#
Still no photo! Need to start a new post to see photo? Surely not. My fault guys and gals -- I did a preview but assumed it would not show until I replied???
[snapback]221502[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

IGNORE -- I FIGURED IT OUT. It must be late...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.