-40*f In Sothern California... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jemarin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm no human thermometer but I'm pretty sure that it's not -40*F here in mostly sunny SoCal. So obviously I need to fix the external temp thing. How do I go about testing to see what the problem is? Is this something that I can troubleshoot and fix myself?
jemarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by jemarin@Jan 25 2005, 12:01 AM
I'm no human thermometer but I'm pretty sure that it's not -40*F here in mostly sunny SoCal.* So obviously I need to fix the external temp thing.* How do I go about testing to see what the problem is?* Is this something that I can troubleshoot and fix myself?
[snapback]278331[/snapback]
It is one of two things: temperature sensor went south or bad wire.
Locate the sensor 1st—tucked-in behind your left fog lights. My car had a yellow connector/2 wires. Once you find the sensor; test it and test the wire (usually bad wire due to its location and its dirty living conditions) and if you have to change the sensor; don’t expect immediate accurate reading either. That thing takes its time calibrating itself to the proper outside temp.

Good luck
billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
yup, it's a yellow connector on most bmws and it's around left foglight or somewhere above that.

new sensors cost around 25-30 us dollars.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Torque@Jan 25 2005, 12:37 AM
yup, it's a yellow connector on most bmws and it's around left foglight or somewhere above that.

[snapback]278348[/snapback]
Excellent info. as such I accessed the sensor by taking the plastic grill/fog light out. You cann't miss a Pointy little thing.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Jan 24 2005, 07:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Jan 24 2005, 07:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Torque@Jan 25 2005, 12:37 AM

Excellent info. as such I accessed the sensor by taking the plastic grill/fog light out. You cann't miss a Pointy little thing.
[snapback]278355[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
To clarify (or confse things). and it depends on year/model maybe, but on my 1999 540, the temp sensor is behind the passenger side foglight, which is the left side only if you are standing in front of the car looking at it. In other words, I though it was on the "right" side of the car (the whole right/left thing can get confusing sometimes)...

Please clarify whether you meant passenger side or driver's side for that sensor location, thanks!
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
I concur on temperature sensor and the majority of the time it is a fried electrcal connector on the fog light (the plastic gets old and she crumbles). I have made numerous new connectors by cutting the wires aft of the electrical connector and crimping some female electrical connectors onto the old wires (I buy the connectors at any parts store and they are, I believe, 16/24 designation). I just did my turn signal/parking light connector using this method.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.+Jan 25 2005, 03:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eric S. @ Jan 25 2005, 03:56 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Jan 24 2005, 07:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Torque
Quote:
@Jan 25 2005, 12:37 AM

To clarify (or confse things). and it depends on year/model maybe, but on my 1999 540, the temp sensor is behind the passenger side foglight, which is the left side only if you are standing in front of the car looking at it. In other words, I though it was on the "right" side of the car (the whole right/left thing can get confusing sometimes)...

Please clarify whether you meant passenger side or driver's side for that sensor location, thanks!
[snapback]278479[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Dear Eric

As usual I cann't get away with many thing anymore. That is OK with me but when instructing the gentleman to locate the temp sensor; we assume he will take some position (standing in space and time) to take one of the fog lights out. Since the only way he can do this-- is by facing the car-- I trust a left fog light also will stay in the same position (existing in space and time) until he takes it out. This left deal is so vaild even for British drivers where a passenger side does not exist in the same space like ours!!!
You're not turning this post into another existentialist "human-measurement" post. Are you? LOL
regards
billb
Old 01-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by billB+Jan 26 2005, 11:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billB @ Jan 26 2005, 11:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.@Jan 25 2005, 03:56 AM
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-Torque
Quote:
Quote:

Dear Eric

As usual I cann't get away with many thing anymore. That is OK with me but when instructing the gentleman to locate the temp sensor; we assume he will take some position (standing in space and time) to take one of the fog lights out. Since the only way he can do this-- is by facing the car-- I trust a left fog light also will stay in the same position (existing in space and time) until he takes it out. This left deal is so vaild even for British drivers where a passenger side does not exist in the same space like ours!!!
You're not turning this post into another existentialist "human-measurement" post. Are you? LOL
regards
billb
[snapback]280073[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Nah, I'll let you off easy this time Bill.
In general I always try to refer to "passenger side" or "driver's side" to alleviate confusion about left/right. But the point is to make the point, and I think there's no doubt that was done...
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.+Jan 27 2005, 04:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eric S. @ Jan 27 2005, 04:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Jan 26 2005, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Eric S.@Jan 25 2005, 03:56 AM
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-Torque
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dear Eric

regards
billb
[snapback]280073[/snapback]
Nah, I'll let you off easy this time Bill.
In general I always try to refer to "passenger side" or "driver's side" to alleviate confusion about left/right. But the point is to make the point, and I think there's no doubt that was done...
[snapback]280087[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)