BMW Werkz banner

530i Or 540i

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Eric S. 
#1 ·
Hi, I am a newbee. I would like to buy a 2002-2003 530 or 540i with manual tranny. Given that I have not read every thread so far - which engine has less problems?
I am coming off 2002 Nissan Maxima 6 speed, so I now I will not be disappointed with 540i accelleration and 530 would be almost on par. My concern about long term issues with electic and other components.
What are some of pros and cons for each one? Money wise I can either get a 02 540 or 03 530 for the same ammount. It will proabably be a CPO and I like to work on the cars myself.

Thank you!
SC

#3 ·
Originally posted by schernov@Apr 26 2005, 12:08 PM
Hi, I am a newbee. I would like to buy a 2002-2003 530 or 540i with manual tranny. Given that I have not read every thread so far - which engine has less problems?
I am coming off 2002 Nissan Maxima 6 speed, so I now I will not be disappointed with 540i accelleration and 530 would be almost on par. My concern about long term issues with electic and other components.
What are some of pros and cons for each one? Money wise I can either get a 02 540 or 03 530 for the same ammount. It will proabably be a CPO and I like to work on the cars myself.

Thank you!
SC
[snapback]337863[/snapback]​
Definitely 540. Get a 2003 if you can (last year of that gen, most kinks worked out). Don't "wish you had a V8" later. The I-6 is buttery-smooth and the rack-and-pinion steering is nice, but there's "no replacement for displacement" (except maybe VANOS), and the V8 isn't exactly rough-running.

Regarding electronics, I think they're pretty much the same with either. There are just a few other items that seem to be more of an issue with the 540. See www.540i6.com problems page. It's the best checklist for the prospective buyer.

Also, don't let gas mileage be a factor in your decision, at least if you're getting a 6-speed. I average upper 23's -to-24 mpg in my daily driving (only one stoplight between here and work), and I've seen upper 20's on highway cruises, including stops, in my 6-speed. Feedback I've seen on Roadfly's forum from other 6-speed 540 drivers is that this isn't unusual.

PS - If you're considering a 2003 540, then you just might be able to find a 2000 or 2001 M5 in your price range. The M5 is superior to the 540 down to almost every last nut and bolt. (Don't know about the gas mileage on those though! :p )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.