BMW Werkz banner

'94 525i Advice

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  pgmakkai 
#1 ·
Greeting all,

This is my first post and I was hoping I could pick the established members brains as to problems/praise with the 1994 325i.

There is one for sale in Cali and I wouldn't normally resort to searching the forums, but I know little about these particular cars and was hoping to get some advice out there as to what to look for in this model.

Year: 1994
Colour: gold (not very flattering) exterior, tan interior
Mileage: 95K
appears in very good shape
525i

they are asking $7 000 USD

it sounds reasonable, and am in the process of talking to the owner to get some history on the car. Any pitfalls or warning signs I should be aware of.

what problems is this model prone to?

Many thanks!

P

See less See more
#2 ·
You can find common problems abotu your e34 in this Faq i made awhile back. http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10877

This car will last you a long time. The engine is practically bullet proof as logn as you consistently change your timing belt. My 89 e34 engine is running GREAT with 270,000 miles on the engine. The electronics ont he other hand are going down the toilet. I guess you can expect the common electrical problems after putting so many miles on your car, but remember this will be a reliable car.

#3 ·
Not sure if this is a silly question, but somewhere on the board I read that the 525 (1994) had a timing chain rather than a timing belt. Is this true? Or are these terms used interchangeably? Sorry to sound mechanically uninclined....

All in all it sounds like the 525 is a reliable car obviously if taken care of well. This one is used and has 95K on it and am trying to get a hold of the owner to get some history on the car. I guess car-fax could help as well.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
$7000 sounds just a bit too high. I just bought the same car, but a year older, and with twice as many miles, and paid $2300. Mine needs some cosmetic work (some rust in a rear left wheel well) and new headlight lenses, but the engine is extremely clean, and runs very smoothly. As for the timing belt and chain - no they are not the same. The chain is an actual chain and it lasts longer than a conventional belt (they are not interchangeable!). I'm pretty sure that e34 has a chain.

#5 ·
Yeah, although the car's mileage is only 95K it is still over 10 years old. I don't know much about the history of the car. Maybe there is some room on the price for him to move. It's a gold colour that I'm not that enthusiastic about with a tan interior. Maybe I'll sleep on it.

Car is super clean though.

#6 ·
Originally posted by pgmakkai@Dec 17 2004, 12:07 PM
Yeah, although the car's mileage is only 95K it is still over 10 years old. I don't know much about the history of the car. Maybe there is some room on the price for him to move. It's a gold colour that I'm not that enthusiastic about with a tan interior. Maybe I'll sleep on it.

Car is super clean though.
[snapback]253109[/snapback]​

I got a tan interior too :thumbsdown

I suggest going to KBB.com, and to find out an average price for the car first. Oh and btw, if you end up getting it, I guarantee that you will be in love with it the first day, especially if its a 5spd(otherwise don't get it at all). The handling is beyond belief, and the car has enough power to put a smile on your face when you move through the traffic.

PS. I learned to drive a manual in just one day (it's a pure fun, lemme tell ya)

#8 ·
7k is a bit too high. I'd offer 6 IF and ONLY IF you get the car checked out by a mechanic and it is in good shape ***Specifically suspension***

I bought a 93 525i with 95k on it, 5,500...its had its share of problems, including around 1grand in suspension work to get the car insptected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.