2008 BMW 535xi - getting out of car - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bostonyahoo is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2008 BMW 535xi - getting out of car

i've had my car for 5 months now and it still bugs me that when i shut the car off, in order to open the drive or front passenger car, you have to open the door handle TWICE. At first i thought it had to be intentional - maybe som esafety feature or somthing. But it's the dumbest thing on the car if that's the case so i figure i'd ask the experts.

is there a setting somewhere or is this just the way it is? I'm sick of telling my passengers - yeah, you have to pull it twice.

anyone?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Presumably, the car computer is set to auto-lock when the vehicle is put into drive. This is a good safety feature, and I have it programmed on my E39 and on my old E36 as well. You have two options. 1. Push the unlock button before exiting the car. 2. Reprogram the central locking not to lock automatically when the vehicle is put into drive. If I were you, I'd go with (1), being both cheaper and safer. You may have to have a dealer charge you to do (2), although changing that option might be available somewhere in iDrive.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
n00b

m1rza is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to m1rza
id leave it the way it is.. your passenger is riding in a BMW it shouldn't be a problem for them to pull the damn handle 43 times before getting out.

#4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
exactly. they (and me) are riding in a 60 thousand dollar BMW so i shouldn't have to pull the same handle twice for the single action required. my tahoe and mustang both lock the door when the car is put in drive so the doors can't be opened from the outside, but both know that the passenger when pulling the handle knows they intend to exit. I would be fine with this on the rear doors for the kids if it's a safety issue but i'm an adult and don't need that kind of forced "safety" issue. It's like on my computer when it prompts "are you sure you want to shut down?" - YES i'm sure, that's why i took the 3-step action to command it.

and if it was simply a safety issue to prevent accidental door opening while moving, then have it that way until the car is shut off in park (when it can't possibly be moving) then allow the single pull. They seemed to think of every other convenience except this obvious oversight
#5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonyahoo View Post
exactly. they (and me) are riding in a 60 thousand dollar BMW so i shouldn't have to pull the same handle twice for the single action required. my tahoe and mustang both lock the door when the car is put in drive so the doors can't be opened from the outside, but both know that the passenger when pulling the handle knows they intend to exit. I would be fine with this on the rear doors for the kids if it's a safety issue but i'm an adult and don't need that kind of forced "safety" issue. It's like on my computer when it prompts "are you sure you want to shut down?" - YES i'm sure, that's why i took the 3-step action to command it.

and if it was simply a safety issue to prevent accidental door opening while moving, then have it that way until the car is shut off in park (when it can't possibly be moving) then allow the single pull. They seemed to think of every other convenience except this obvious oversight
It is to prevent OTHERS from getting in no you falling out....
so your $60k car doesn't get carjacked...
i have this programmed on my seven.... check the Idrive and see if you can turn in off threw there! or just hit the unlock button before exiting the vehicle

If you need that to keep you from falling out then you have bigger issues

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
(post below)

thanks for the response below but that argument doesn't hold. like I said, i'm fine with the doors locking but every car i've owned including my current mustang and tahoe both lock the doors but both unlock the door automaticlaly when you pull the handle from the inside. Further, they both unlock when the engine is shut off (since pressumably you'll be exiting when you shut the car off). I would expect BMW to be able to figure out that when i pull the handle from inside, if the door is locked, to unlock it. Everyone else has figured this out (except ponitiac if i remember correctly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
It is to prevent OTHERS from getting in no you falling out....
so your $60k car doesn't get carjacked...
i have this programmed on my seven.... check the Idrive and see if you can turn in off threw there! or just hit the unlock button before exiting the vehicle

#7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM
n00b

RaveD is on a distinguished road
I admit this bugged me at first but I got used to it in about a day.

How about those cup-holders
#8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:50 PM

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
.... when you FIRST pull the handle it unlocks the door then the second to open the door... if it a big deal go to the dealer and have then reset it for you

I am Captain Obvious
#9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Diotima has a spectacular aura about Diotima has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Diotima Send a message via Yahoo to Diotima Send a message via Skype™ to Diotima
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSixAndSeven View Post
what is it with you and the 'issues' lately.....

I fell off the bed friday night have a humungous bump on knee

If you don't know where you are going, any road can take you there
#10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:37 PM

... everyone has issues.... you and i seem to have more then most
of to work..

I am Captain Obvious
#11 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveD View Post
I admit this bugged me at first but I got used to it in about a day.

How about those cup-holders
The 5 series has the greatest cup holders ever made in the history of the universe. Praise be to the fine german engineering that went into those...

BTW all 4 of mine are broken.

My cup holder now sits besides me. She also makes a mean lasagna..

Jason / 1997 528i
#12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
"Auto locking after starting off" can be turned off in the I-drive. Theres no need to take it to the dealer. Unfortunately thats the only way to get rid of the "2 pull" issue. At this point BMW has not recognized it as a problem so there is no update programming available to change it and there is nothing your dealer can do about it so I wouldnt waste your time. I agree that its not a very desirable thing but it is what it is. I havent specifically looked but i think its still the same even on the 08 models.

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)