BMW Werkz banner

2008 BMW 535xi - getting out of car

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dirty_Tool 
#1 ·
i've had my car for 5 months now and it still bugs me that when i shut the car off, in order to open the drive or front passenger car, you have to open the door handle TWICE. At first i thought it had to be intentional - maybe som esafety feature or somthing. But it's the dumbest thing on the car if that's the case so i figure i'd ask the experts.

is there a setting somewhere or is this just the way it is? I'm sick of telling my passengers - yeah, you have to pull it twice.

anyone?

thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Presumably, the car computer is set to auto-lock when the vehicle is put into drive. This is a good safety feature, and I have it programmed on my E39 and on my old E36 as well. You have two options. 1. Push the unlock button before exiting the car. 2. Reprogram the central locking not to lock automatically when the vehicle is put into drive. If I were you, I'd go with (1), being both cheaper and safer. You may have to have a dealer charge you to do (2), although changing that option might be available somewhere in iDrive.

#4 ·
exactly. they (and me) are riding in a 60 thousand dollar BMW so i shouldn't have to pull the same handle twice for the single action required. my tahoe and mustang both lock the door when the car is put in drive so the doors can't be opened from the outside, but both know that the passenger when pulling the handle knows they intend to exit. I would be fine with this on the rear doors for the kids if it's a safety issue but i'm an adult and don't need that kind of forced "safety" issue. It's like on my computer when it prompts "are you sure you want to shut down?" - YES i'm sure, that's why i took the 3-step action to command it.

and if it was simply a safety issue to prevent accidental door opening while moving, then have it that way until the car is shut off in park (when it can't possibly be moving) then allow the single pull. They seemed to think of every other convenience except this obvious oversight

#5 ·
It is to prevent OTHERS from getting in:D no you falling out....
so your $60k car doesn't get carjacked...
i have this programmed on my seven.... check the Idrive and see if you can turn in off threw there! or just hit the unlock button before exiting the vehicle:D

If you need that to keep you from falling out then you have bigger issues:rofl

#8 ·
.... when you FIRST pull the handle it unlocks the door;) then the second to open the door... if it a big deal go to the dealer and have then reset it for you:D

#10 ·
... everyone has issues.... you and i seem to have more then most:rofl
of to work..

#12 ·
"Auto locking after starting off" can be turned off in the I-drive. Theres no need to take it to the dealer. Unfortunately thats the only way to get rid of the "2 pull" issue. At this point BMW has not recognized it as a problem so there is no update programming available to change it and there is nothing your dealer can do about it so I wouldnt waste your time. I agree that its not a very desirable thing but it is what it is. I havent specifically looked but i think its still the same even on the 08 models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.