2006 530xi shark fin problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 08:41 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
guy293 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
2006 530xi shark fin problem

Bought a new 530xi in August-noticed several days later it had a chip in the paint of the shark fin antenna down to the plastic below.

My dealer said they've had 3 other cars brought in for the same reason in the last several months. Finally got them to get a replacement part in and when they removed the original antenna they pulled paint off the roof. When they looked at the satellite antenna under the cover there was a broken part there that had to be replaced. The car came pre-wired for Sirius radio, so I asked them to install that at the same time.

Tomorrow it will be 13 days they have had the car. they had to repaint the roof, fix antenna inside and refasten the new shark fin. Service mgr said today that the spend over 8 hours reprogramming the car.

Hopefull I will get it back tomorrow, although no promises.

Anyone heard of such problems with the antenna and the paint? The car is 3 months old and I hope they have it back to perfect, especially the paint job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

dyami is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dyami
My mother also has a new 530xi and has had a lot of electrical problems. thats all i know. never heard of the new paint and the shark fin before.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Neutral Member

pamato is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to pamato
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy293
Bought a new 530xi in August-noticed several days later it had a chip in the paint of the shark fin antenna down to the plastic below.

My dealer said they've had 3 other cars brought in for the same reason in the last several months. Finally got them to get a replacement part in and when they removed the original antenna they pulled paint off the roof. When they looked at the satellite antenna under the cover there was a broken part there that had to be replaced. The car came pre-wired for Sirius radio, so I asked them to install that at the same time.

Tomorrow it will be 13 days they have had the car. they had to repaint the roof, fix antenna inside and refasten the new shark fin. Service mgr said today that the spend over 8 hours reprogramming the car.

Hopefull I will get it back tomorrow, although no promises.

Anyone heard of such problems with the antenna and the paint? The car is 3 months old and I hope they have it back to perfect, especially the paint job.

Thirteen days is a long time to have your car. Did they give you a loaner? I hope so.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:10 PM
n00b

guy293 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
They offered me either a 525 or a X5 as a loaner. Got the car back after 13 days. The paint job appears perfect so far-I am looking at it in different light levels to make sure. The Sirius radio is great-so nice to not listen to regular radio-no commercials, no lengthy DJ babbling in the morning on the way to work. They took 10% off the price of the Sirius receiver and took 10% off the labor charge to install in. Free labor after the long wait would have been great, but I'm not really complaining.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Thats good for you... I'm glad you got hooked up.... as for electrical problems... with every new model... its hard to judge from an engineering standpoint the productiviety and how things will last once produced... those cars will go through a tramendous electrical debrief from the first three years.... its only natural for a new model....

Good Luck in the future my friend,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)