BMW Werkz banner

2006 530xi shark fin problem

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  97alpineM3 
#1 ·
Bought a new 530xi in August-noticed several days later it had a chip in the paint of the shark fin antenna down to the plastic below.

My dealer said they've had 3 other cars brought in for the same reason in the last several months. Finally got them to get a replacement part in and when they removed the original antenna they pulled paint off the roof. When they looked at the satellite antenna under the cover there was a broken part there that had to be replaced. The car came pre-wired for Sirius radio, so I asked them to install that at the same time.

Tomorrow it will be 13 days they have had the car. they had to repaint the roof, fix antenna inside and refasten the new shark fin. Service mgr said today that the spend over 8 hours reprogramming the car.

Hopefull I will get it back tomorrow, although no promises.

Anyone heard of such problems with the antenna and the paint? The car is 3 months old and I hope they have it back to perfect, especially the paint job.

#3 ·
guy293 said:
Bought a new 530xi in August-noticed several days later it had a chip in the paint of the shark fin antenna down to the plastic below.

My dealer said they've had 3 other cars brought in for the same reason in the last several months. Finally got them to get a replacement part in and when they removed the original antenna they pulled paint off the roof. When they looked at the satellite antenna under the cover there was a broken part there that had to be replaced. The car came pre-wired for Sirius radio, so I asked them to install that at the same time.

Tomorrow it will be 13 days they have had the car. they had to repaint the roof, fix antenna inside and refasten the new shark fin. Service mgr said today that the spend over 8 hours reprogramming the car.

Hopefull I will get it back tomorrow, although no promises.

Anyone heard of such problems with the antenna and the paint? The car is 3 months old and I hope they have it back to perfect, especially the paint job.

Thirteen days is a long time to have your car. Did they give you a loaner? I hope so.

#4 ·
They offered me either a 525 or a X5 as a loaner. Got the car back after 13 days. The paint job appears perfect so far-I am looking at it in different light levels to make sure. The Sirius radio is great-so nice to not listen to regular radio-no commercials, no lengthy DJ babbling in the morning on the way to work. They took 10% off the price of the Sirius receiver and took 10% off the labor charge to install in. Free labor after the long wait would have been great, but I'm not really complaining.

#5 ·
Thats good for you... I'm glad you got hooked up.... as for electrical problems... with every new model... its hard to judge from an engineering standpoint the productiviety and how things will last once produced... those cars will go through a tramendous electrical debrief from the first three years.... its only natural for a new model....

Good Luck in the future my friend,

Les

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.