BMW Werkz banner

2004 E60/530i Cold Air Intake - HELP

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  silverlea 
#1 ·
Hi - I just found an aftermarket cold air intake system that I purchased for my 2004 530i. The instructions are terrible and wondered if someone could advise me. As far as the installation goes, that is no problem. My question is in regard to the sensor (computer) that plugs in to the stock air intake. On the new intake, there is no provision for this plug - do I just disregard it and leave it unplugged or am I asking for computer troubles and warning lights???? Any information would be greatly apprecited........if you are curious about the cold air intake - here is a link but I obviously cant get much support on this product.

http://www.globalautoshop.com/accessories/...e/bmw_index.htm

#2 ·
Did this come with the smoke and mirros or do you have to provide those, too?

Looks like these faux 'cold air intakes' are the coming trend. Doesn't *anybody* buy faux carbon fiber strut bars any more? :nope

Did you actually *believe* that sales pitch characterizing your stock air intake as "restrictive"? Do you have any idea where the greatest restrictions in a BMW intake tract are? [Hint: it's not the air intake box.] Do you really think a hunk of conductive *aluminum* will be any cooler than a piece of plastic? [Another hint: which one do they make cookware out of?] Finally, how do you think the air where this thing mounts will be any cooler than that right behind the headlight (or wherever BMW is getting it these days)? Making up a big ol' plastic molding for getting air from wherever they want it is a simple matter for the designers of a $40,000 car. Why would you think somebody selling this stuff in the aftermarket is any better at it?

Read the benefits statement carefully: *Designed* to improve horsepower and throttle response up to 10%. Do you see any indication that they actually *achieved* this design goal? Can you even tell what the goal *is*? [Next hint: they never said *horsepower* would increase 10%] :thud

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but your 'upgrade' will almost certainly be as beneficial as the throttle on a Harley Davidson: it's a *Volume Control*! :banghead

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.