BMW Werkz banner

2004 E60 530i Automatic Transsmission Pan Leak

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  nevinsj 
#1 ·
I took my 04 530i (E60) to the dealer for the brake fluid changed and they told me my transmission pan is leaking, they want over 900 bucks to fix, over 400 of this is for parts to include a new plactic pan, which they say should be replaced with the gasket.
Where is a good place to buy OEM BMW parts at a good price?
Does the pan really need to be replaced?
They still have the car, so I haven't had a chance to confirm the actual leak myself, yet.
Thanks for any inputs!

#4 ·
Yes, I fixed the leak right away. The price was driven by the parts, BMW recommended changing the filter, which is part of the plastic pan, the fluid alone is 35 bucks for 1/2 liter, it takes 6 liters. The parts from the dealer are 500 bucks, the rest was labor. Some dealers use the old fluid back in, so it reduces 210 from the price. There is a 5 series forum I also belong to that has a great DIY on the transmission filter with pics and torque values. I have since put about 5k on it, and its as smooth as when it was new, no leaks. Now when I do my oil changes, I pull the bottom cowl off to check for any other leaks. The cowl can be dangerous, it can prevent one from noticing a leak when it is minor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.