2004 (E60) 5 series styling - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

View Poll Results: How do you rate the E60?
I love it's smooth lines 29 50.88%
It sucks and they should start over 23 40.35%
I don't care 4 7.02%
What's an E60? 1 1.75%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 09:24 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys and girls! What do you think?

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
it's nice, but there is a little too much detail (shouldn't be so rounded)

#3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 09:32 PM
2nd Gear Member

TECH is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks like a Pontiac and a 745 went to bed together.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 09:48 PM
Neutral Member

Lucky is an unknown quantity at this point
I just think it is consistant with where the BMW design is going. Its fine. but only because the 7 looks like it does.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>The Stable, and what it contains :</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:blue'>2000 BMW 528i </span>(mine)
.5spd Steptronic/Auto, M5 sports package
.Silver on Black leather
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:blue'>2003 BMW 330cic </span>(wife)
.6spd manual, sports package
.Alpine white on Sand leather
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>-</span><span style='color:red'>2003 Porsche 996 Targa </span>(toy)
.6spd manual, 18&quot; sport classic, w/ Pzero, dual exhaust tips.
.Atlas grey on &quot;boxster&quot; red leather (like imola)

-<span style='color:gray'>2004 BMW Z4 3.0</span> (daughter) *coming*
#5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:28 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to woobiee
as a car it looks good.

but when you factor in that it replaced the E39 5 series...it angers me and personally the E39 looks better.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:24 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
I recently posted this somewhere:

Quote:
There was a e60 530i parked right next to my car yesterday in the garage when I was leaving work. When I was approaching my car, I got a good comparison view of the two machines. I thought to myself, Mine looks better!

Then I walked around the 530i, checking out from bumper to bumper and the interior. I had seen one at the dealer here before, but here's giving it another chance. And I thought to myself again..."How the hell am I gonna trade my car in to upgrade to this thing that doesn't look better than mine!!!???"
It's still a n

However, from pics, I feel somehow the new M5 that's coming out looks better than the regular 5, probably coz' it's lower and the different aerodynamic kit.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

ksz is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the opposite reaction. I am beginning to "wake up" to Chris Bangle's designs. As I posted elsewhere, I've parked my E39 next to an E60 and considered the E39 to be primitive or, rather, out-dated. The E60 is a fresh new design, more avant-garde and really pleasing to my eyes.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 02:36 PM
n00b

y2khris is an unknown quantity at this point
There are certain styling aspects that are specific to certain cars. The kidney grill is one things that makes a BMW, well a BMW. I have always appreciated the cut like on the sides of the BMW 5 series (like my E28), starts from the front, and goes all the way to the rear of the car. The new BMW's (Lets hope that the E46 sticks around till someone has the sense to fire Bangle) have lost the fluidity that the older BMW's had.

I dont want to talk about this anymore, I am slowly converting from BMW to Audi, thanks to Bangle

If you show your BMW love, she will love you in return.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 02:47 PM

woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute woobiee has a reputation beyond repute
i too am warming up to bangle designs. The 7, not so ugly anymore, but i STILL have problems with the front. I loved the Z4 from the start.

like everyone says and what i stated above: the new bmws dont look ugly, its just ugly to me because it replaced a legend (E39). i mean sure i understand that the E39 is a very old platform, but comon bangle, replace it with something that looks remotely like a traditional bmw.

i think it comes down to tradition. the new bmws hardly have any bmw lines in them, even the very traditional kidney grilles are starting to look, well, not bmwish. (look at the Z9 concept and the 6 series coming out..whats the deal with that chrome horizontal slat that runs across the top?)

okie thats my piece of it btw, the new 5 looks much better in person than in photos
#10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:17 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

There are still traditional BMW cues in the new styling. The taillights, for instance, are unmistakable 5-series, only "morphed" to render a more aggressive and eye-catching look. The double round headlights are still there. BMW never waivered from their double-round lamps, and today everyone is coming back to them. The kidney grill is still satisfyingly BMW. On the 545i, the grill "spacers" are chrome- accented, yet another traditional BMW ornament.

To be honest, I did not care at all for the redesigned rear end, but after a few repeat sightings, I think it works well. Sure it can be improved and BMW will no doubt make subtle styling changes throughout this model's (7-year?) lifespan. I commend BMW for making aggressive moves to "modernize" its fleet. Today almost everything on the road looks more or less the same. BMW is setting itself apart...some will like it and some will not.

Audi is also about to introduce style revisions. The new 2005-06 A4 will have a new double-grill in the front. I don't think it works well on the A4...reminds me of the Jaguar S-Type, but not as well suited. The double-grill idea works better on the Audi Pikes Peak Concept vehicle.
#11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 03:43 PM

the first time i ever saw the E60, the first thing i though it looked like the new honda accord.

contrary on what you said, i think cars today are starting to look the same. the bulkyness of hondas, toyotas, lex, acura, even audi and bmw all are on the same page. (some look better than others, acura and audi are doing it beautifully i think; but i think toyota and lex needs more work) bulkyness i mean thick doors, smaller windows...basically the look yields to a fatter looking car
#12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 04:33 PM
n00b

y2khris is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

ksz,

You sound like a BMW spokesman, not a BMW enthusiast. I haven't met a single one of us who really prefers the Bangle-ized styling to the styling of the previous generation styling.

I have always stood up for BMW, but now I dont know what they are thinking. Certain cars have certain good traditions, for BMW, in terms of motors, I know BMW builds awesome V8 motors, but I hope that the slant 6 never dissapears the way that the 4 cylinder did in the US. It is the same feeling I felt in 1999 when Porsche went to the water cooled flat-6.

If you show your BMW love, she will love you in return.
#13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 05:38 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

Quite the contrary. I have no affiliation with BMW. I owned a 1997 528i (auto) followed by a 2001 530i (steptronic) and have just placed an order for a 2004 545i (stick shift).

I have spent as much $$ on BMW as anybody else (probably a little more than the average owner). Please note one thing carefully: I am a BMW admirer, not a fanatic. I am not a fanatic about anything actually! Times change, traditions change, opinions change, and even entire generations of people die and are replaced by another generation. While I am not anti-tradition, I am pro-progress. We cannot be stuck in the past. Sure the past is comfortable and we're used to it. Automotive designs that have come in the past have established a sense of what's "right" or what's supposed to look "good". These suppositions are subject to change, like fashion. Not everyone will agree with the general fashion trends in the automobile industry, but eventually a new definition of beauty will emerge. If you've kept abreast of changes in automobile design from the 50's through to today, and if you now extrapolate to 20 years in the future, how do you think cars will look? And will that be a bad thing? Actually, 20 years from now I would hope we earnestly move away from fossil fuel engines to cleaner alternatives while preserving the performance characteristics we're accustomed to.

I am also an Apple Computer admirer, but no one will "accuse" me of being an Apple fanatic because I try to stay objective. Cars and computers are a part of life, not the most important part, so I don't get very much worked up...when there are still plenty of choices on the market.

By the way, if I really did not like the new 5-series I would NOT have ordered one. Like I said, I'm an admirer, not an "enthusiast" and most certainly not a "fanatic".
#14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 05:02 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
One should not change something just for the sake of change. Change does not mean progress or improvement. The word change has been so widely misunderstood, and is accepted, especially in corporations, as being good, creative, innovative, progress, improvement, thinking out of the box....etc....

Being able to make "good" and effective change to an existing product or design, that is another thing. In this case, I feel BMW has recently failed. Seems to me BMW made bad changes this time, for the sake of keeping up with times and to look different. They swayed too far from their roots! What's the point of setting a new trend when the majority of people do not like it? Defeats the purpose in the first place of trying to stay ahead of the competition! Now they are driving more than a few loyal BMW drivers to the competition. And BMW is aware of their mistake!

#15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:41 AM
n00b

pherbolario is an unknown quantity at this point
i don't know...i own a e39 but the new 5-series is gorgeous because the e39 has been up since 97...i think it is time to retire the e39's...it's a new generation now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)