BMW Werkz banner

2004 5 Series Issues

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Silver4evr 
#1 ·
Anyone out there have a 2004 5 series yet? If so, have you encountered any problems? The 2002 (first year) of the new 7 series had quite a few issues. Is there the same risk with the new 5 series since it's in it's first year? I am considering the 5 series, MB E320, Infiniti FX, Cadillac CTS, a bit nervous with the 5 series although I've had 7 of them. Have driven all except Infiniti. The big surprie is the CTS. At it's price point it's the best value.

#4 ·
I just picked up a 545I SMG version on friday. The delaer says I have the only one in US right now. The car is awesome. I just returned a 99 E430 sport and this car is very different. I had a 5 series before and expected a great car but this one exceeded my expectations.

I missed geting nav and heads up becz they were not ready when the car left germany , but I have everything else. I definitely reccomend the 5 series . If it holds up mechanically it's a great car.

#5 ·
Parents have a 530i and have had a couple issues:

1. Software upgrade that gave some seatbelt errors and turned the airbag light on.

2. A part in the dashboard broke so it didn't work fully

3. The radio stopped working for a full day then started to work again.

That's it, but they haven't had it long.

#6 ·
Originally posted by bobi@Mar 1 2004, 09:30 PM
I just picked up a 545I SMG version on friday. The delaer says I have the only one in US right now. The car is awesome. I just returned a 99 E430 sport and this car is very different. I had a 5 series before and expected a great car but this one exceeded my expectations.

I missed geting nav and heads up becz they were not ready when the car left germany , but I have everything else. I definitely reccomend the 5 series . If it holds up mechanically it's a great car.
How does the SMG perform on the 545i? I have a 545i on order, but chose stick shift over SMG at the last minute based on comments that is not as quick as the Bosch-made SMG on the M-series.

#7 ·
It seems fine and shifts smoothly. I'm still in the break in period (1200 mi) so I have to keep it under 100 mph and rapid accel at a min. There is a sport mode I'm not touching yet until after break in. Overall I'm very impressed with the torque, the smoothness and the new steering set up.

#8 ·
Any pics?
No problems on mine. 1500 miles on odometer.

Cup holder won't open.

#10 ·
I have 2 weeks and 700 miles on my black on black E60 6 speed. After owning 7 other BMW's over the past 20 years including my last E39 540 6 speed, I was seriously considering the A8, E500 and CLK 500. After getting accustomed to the active-steering, the E60 is the best handling sedan I have ever driven. The looks are much better in person and seems to look better every day. The I-drive is difficult to master. I still have not discovered how the voice activation works and the dealership is no help. I seem to have one of the first E60 with NAV in my area.

#11 ·
I've got about 3k miles on my 545i six speed and love it.

I've discovered that you do not need to purchase the ridiculously priced BMW series 9000 wireless phone. I purchased a Motorola V60 (color) from the AT&T Wireless store and it fits right into the BMW phone kit. The only issue was trying to get it to work correctly. The dealer had a lot of problems since this was the first E60 they tried to do an install in and, as I understand it, BMW had been upgrading the firmware while they were in the process of trying to get it to work.

So, after several attempts (and a little vocal impatience on my part), they got it working. It seems to have all of the features of the BMW phone including voice activation.

So far so good. :thumbs

#12 ·
The 7 series has all electronic porblems. Its all due to that crazy turn knob. That thing was a bad idea in the first place. I think they should so away not only with that, but all the entire new line of designing that BMW has com up with in the past two years or so. The new 7 and 5 series I think are ugly. They have to go back to original designs that brought them to the top and stop trying to modify what was already selling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.