2003 540i Which One? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
wasteband is on a distinguished road
2003 540i Which One?

Hello All-

I am looking at 3 540i's right now, all are 2003 and have sport package and are at PA dealerships. All are CPO with BMW + 2year warranty over factory. All are mint. Leaving an Audi A6 2.7T 2000 for this. Mistake???

1. Auto, 28k miles black on black asking $40,989
2. 6 speed, 36k miles, black on black, asking $39,300
3. Auto, 32k miles, black on black, asking $39,995

Which one would you choose and what is a fair price for each?

Thanks!
wasteband is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
All those seem like a fair price for the miles. You could maybe try to talk them down another thousand on whichever one you pick ... maybe more; all up to your negotiating skills -- you wont get too much lower tho. Blue book is right around there.

As for which to choose ... personally, I'd choose the 6 speed, because there's nothing quite like a BMW v8 and a 6 speed ... it pulls like a train. Automatics arent too shabby either ... basically it all comes down to where you do most of your driving and if you want to deal with the clutch if you do a lot of heavy traffic.

Welcome to bimmerwerkz by the way. Hope you stick around.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteband
Hello All-

I am looking at 3 540i's right now, all are 2003 and have sport package and are at PA dealerships. All are CPO with BMW + 2year warranty over factory. All are mint. Leaving an Audi A6 2.7T 2000 for this. Mistake???

1. Auto, 28k miles black on black asking $40,989
2. 6 speed, 36k miles, black on black, asking $39,300
3. Auto, 32k miles, black on black, asking $39,995

Which one would you choose and what is a fair price for each?

Thanks!
I only see one viable choice in the above, but that's just my opinion. Too bad it has the most miles.
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Eric S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
I am Teh Edumacator.

Car: 1999 Dinan 540i/6, 1995 Dinan 749
Photos:
Teh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud ofTeh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Get the six speed. Those few extra miles shouldn't make a difference on such a long-lasting car. Assuming you take care of it, that is.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Teh Prof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
LadyBim is on a distinguished road
There's only 1 choice but then I'm biased.....take the 6spd. I sold my 2001 Audi A4 to buy my 540i. Again, in my humble opinion, the BMW is a much better built car and the general fit and finish is far superior. And besides nothing kicks *** like this car on the highway. The only thing I miss about the Audi is the quattro drive, living here, the BMW is a bit of a challenge to drive in the winter. It's all a trade off, nothing is perfect but I am very pleased with my BMW.

Enjoy your new ride ! (which ever one you choose)

LadyBim
LadyBim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
SnidelyWhip is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to SnidelyWhip Send a message via AIM to SnidelyWhip Send a message via Yahoo to SnidelyWhip
Gotta go with the rest of the suggestions:

Get the 6-speed!!

That is unless you drive in a ton of stop and go traffic daily. WRT LadyBim's post, I think the manual can actually help in the snowy weather. A 540i/6 with good snow tires is quite capable in the snow. It's no 330xi or X5, but it's not impossible either.
SnidelyWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Ok ok ok already...I get it! I just drove the 6 speed. Now I know what everyone has been talking about. Smooth and powerful. I wished the gear throw was a bit shorter, but no biggie.

I am sold on the car. Despite the fact that I will be giving up the A6 Quattro's awesome snow feet, I still think the 540 is great. Now I need to weigh the Philly/Jersey Beach traffic hassle of the clutch vs. the automatic's lack of explosive power. I am on the fence.

Thanks for all of your input. If anyone has a definitive tie breaker, let me know.used:
Old 03-15-2006, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteband
Ok ok ok already...I get it! I just drove the 6 speed. Now I know what everyone has been talking about. Smooth and powerful. I wished the gear throw was a bit shorter, but no biggie.

I am sold on the car. Despite the fact that I will be giving up the A6 Quattro's awesome snow feet, I still think the 540 is great. Now I need to weigh the Philly/Jersey Beach traffic hassle of the clutch vs. the automatic's lack of explosive power. I am on the fence.

Thanks for all of your input. If anyone has a definitive tie breaker, let me know.used:
Tie breaker: The shifter throw was one of my complaints, but there are numerous aftermarket and BMW M solutions available to fix that. The clutch probably still has the CDV in it - once you remove that, it will feel even more responsive! All 6-speeds come with the Sport package. Do either of those automatics have the sport package? You can tell by whether the window trim is shiny metal or black. Black = sport package = bad-a$$....
Old 03-15-2006, 08:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
CDV? What is this?

All the autos are sport as well.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
artdowg is on a distinguished road
Clutch-Delay-Valve, it's a little valve that restricts fluid in the tranny which make the clutch feel soft-made for people who don't know how to drive stick. Remove that and you get crisp and very precise clutch which will let you get through the gears like-BAM...BAM...BAM, it's a very good mod, the first I would do if I were you.
artdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 02:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Decision Made!

Thanks again for all the good advice. Went with the 2003 540i Sport 6 Speed. 31k miles.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
68th gear and shifting

Car: a lot of broken ones
Photos:
superdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
good choice, congrats!
i'd also choose the 6spd
there are many advantages to it, like faster acceleration, better gas milage, better re-sale price. If you go on ebay and look for older 540s (99-00), you'll see that generally 6-spd get more money than automatics.
and like Eric said, aftermarket shifter kit is the best way to go.

My only disagreement with your choice is:
for $40k you could have gotten 2001 M5 with maybe 5k more miles (assuming that you could get extended warranty on that). It is THE BEST 5-series, that is much faster than any 540s (400hp vs 300hp), better handling, more rare and exclusive, with all the options you can think of, and it'll hold its value much better than any other 5-series. Basically, all the 540 owners wish they had M5.

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
superdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mrgrant is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Excellant choice on on your 540/6

Two months ago I purchase a 2001 540/6 with 33,000 mile. It needed a little work and I negociated the repair into the price. In my reseach before buying I found in this forum typical repairs and in my case this included: radiator, front windshield, brake pads/rotors, oil change, wiper blades and battery.

I extremly pleased with this great car and three weeks ago made it even better by upgrading to Dinan's CAI, throttle body, air mass meter,free flow exhaust and stage 4 software. Wow, what can I say. The troque is now neck wrenching and now has a real manly groooowl. You have to admit the e39 is the best looking design inside and out from BMW. All you have do is look through the 20-30 pages in e39 forum to that testament.
mrgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeadman
My only disagreement with your choice is:
for $40k you could have gotten 2001 M5 with maybe 5k more miles (assuming that you could get extended warranty on that). It is THE BEST 5-series, that is much faster than any 540s (400hp vs 300hp), better handling, more rare and exclusive, with all the options you can think of, and it'll hold its value much better than any other 5-series. Basically, all the 540 owners wish they had M5.
I gotta agree that the M5 is the penultimate E39, and I would love to have one, but I seriously wonder if I could afford to maintain and repair it? The 540 is keeping me and my wallet busy enough as it is, and from what I've read, the M5 has even more expensive things to fix or repair.

Still, I'd like the chance to see for myself...

Congratulations to wasteband on an excellent car! Now, familiarize yourself with:
bmwtips.com
zeckhausenracing.com (CDV delete info)
540i6.com
And join the BMW CCA. If your local dealer is worth a hoot, they'll offer parts & labor discounts to CCA members.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
68th gear and shifting

Car: a lot of broken ones
Photos:
superdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura aboutsuperdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
I gotta agree that the M5 is the penultimate E39, and I would love to have one, but I seriously wonder if I could afford to maintain and repair it? The 540 is keeping me and my wallet busy enough as it is, and from what I've read, the M5 has even more expensive things to fix or repair.

Still, I'd like the chance to see for myself...

Congratulations to wasteband on an excellent car! Now, familiarize yourself with:
bmwtips.com
zeckhausenracing.com (CDV delete info)
540i6.com
And join the BMW CCA. If your local dealer is worth a hoot, they'll offer parts & labor discounts to CCA members.
well like i said, it's all about spending extra $$$ on extended warranty
otherwise you are screwed haha

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
superdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)