Hello all, this is my first post on the boards and hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction. As I am ready to blow up my 540i.
2003 540i (M-Sport Package)
Purchased as a certified pre-own from BMW 4/2006
2007 - replaced electronics that control door locks and battery (at dealer)
2008 - Radiator leaked, and then replaced (at dealer)
2009 - all 4 tires replaced (at dealer)
2010 - Coolant leak, dealer replaced hoses upper & lower.
2010 - during oil change dealer determines oil leak and need valve cover gaskets replaced,
valve cover gaskets replaced (at dealer)
2010 - Coolant warning, back to dealer, they add antifreeze but can't find leak.
2010 - Oil leak, not comfortable with dealer, go to an independent shop, they see issue
valve cover gaskets, I then take car back to dealer to have them warranty work the
valve cover gaskets (only 3 months old), they argue but eventually replace them
again. Last trip to dealer
2010 - Independent shop replaces water pump.
2011 - Coolant leak issue again, Independent shop feels it is either hose or valley pan
issue, the try sealant. Car runs fine until now ...
2012 - 7 days ago (3/30/12), Trans feels odd under 2k rpm / 30 mph feels a bit rough
almost like going over small bumps, once above 2k rpm / 30mph everything is
great. Worried about trans, plug in OBD scanner no codes or SES light. Next day
SES light is on and scanner pulls code P0741(Torque Converter), I then take car
straight to Independent shop. They determine I will either need a new Trans or
rebuild. I elect for rebuild, and they advise they have a partner shop that does
rebuilds for them nearby. They schedule the appointment for 4/4/12, then the
really bad news !! I get a call during the day that while driving the car
(Guess they felt it was drivable) to the trans rebuild shop, it over heats and they
pulled over to see the radiator hose ruptured antifreeze everywhere and car won't
start. They have it towed to their shop and determine the car now needs a new
head gasket. I tell them not to do the work as the combined Head Gasket and trans
rebuild work would be in the ballpark of $10k. I then have the car towed to my
house. Decided to do some investigating and here are some of my findings:
1. Check oil to see if any antifreeze is mixed in since Head Gasket is supposed to be bad?
no antifreeze, oil looks normal.
2. Battery low, engine cranks slow but does not catch, jump starting does not help. Take battery to auto parts store for testing, battery bad, buy and install new battery. Car cranks but will not catch, smells like gasoline in engine compartment.
3. Inspected the fluid that was splashed around the engine compartment with a friend, and it looks like oil not antifreeze all over the place, especially pooled up on the plastic undercover for the engine compartment.
4. SES light still on, get a few codes then the codes disappeared but SES light still on, the codes were "Engine Failsafe Prog" "P0120 / p0123 / P0222 - Pedal Position".
5. Checked Radiator, level was low, added about 2 quarts worth of antifreeze.
6. After trying to crank it one more time still did not start but now the SES light is off, no codes are registering and not that this matters at this point but the door lock button on the center console no longer activates the door locks.
I have taken a video of what the car looks/sound like from the engine compartment while trying to start. Can email if anyone wants to see it.
At my wits end, can't continue to spend money on this thing, the repairs so far plus what the shop said about head gasket and trans will be than what I paid for car initially + what it is currently worth. Looking for guidance willing to try and attempt repairs myself -or- find a reputable mechanic to get car running if cost effective. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Hate to have to get rid of this car since it is in excellent condition and has all the M-sport trim and bells and whistles.