BMW Werkz banner

2002 bmw 540i error codes 1531 and 1545

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BimmerAdict 
#1 · (Edited)
error codes 1531 and 1545 on my recently purchased 2002 bmw 540i. engine light blinks while driving but stops when i come to a stop. engine feels like it is running rough. recently put in new spark plugs myself and paid a mechanic to install a new waterpump and thermostat. put midgrade fuel in car a month ago. that is when it started. figured it would have worked it's way out by now. was only doing it once in a while but is doing it constantly now. new member here any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
The Engine light when blinking means you having a miss fire if you could tell me the mile it could help me with this situation we have 2 540i both started misfiring due to high mileage causing gasets and seals to fail to start leaking oil into the engine so it will stop running. It could just need new spark plugs as well for the codes the 1531 is a engine safe program which my 540i msport wagon had which usually means the engine stayed at one speed and wouldn't rev unless you restated it after x amount of time. the 1545 means that the pedal position sensor is probably bad I have not had that problem with ether of the 540i. I hope this helps Minimac

#3 ·
As for the 2 codes google them. The engine light could be from many things but if its idling rough you probably have a misfire.
Did you get any codes suggesting a misfire? My 335i also developed a rough idle after I installed new spark plugs and it turned out to be ignition coils.
The rough idle was just indicating the coils were beginning to die because as soon as I got on the gas it drove perfectly. A few weeks later it started misfiring at higher RPM's which led me to change the ignition coils. It's been running well ever since then.

#4 ·
BimmerAdict just to clarify I have gone almost my hole life with a 2002 E39 540i MSPORT sedan and a 2003 E39 540i MSPORT Wagon. The sedan is around 170,000 miles and has developed all these issues and needs an engine over haul because of it the 2003 Wagon has 198,xxx miles on it and is having a engine over haul with the same symtoms thats why i would like to know the miles on his car and i know for sure that the flashing light means its misfiring because both car have done it. It could be what you 335 has done but the 4.4 v8 at high millage tends to start leaking oil into the pistons causing the spark plugs to be oil covered and not work causing the misfiring. Hes just lucky if his transmission isn't in the safe mode because if it goes into safe mode it probably going to need a transmission rebuild which our 2002 sedan needs as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.