BMW Werkz banner

2001 E39 528i - Rear Clanking Sound

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mehumming 
#1 ·
Hi,

http://rapidshare.de/files/14180021/2001-BMW-E39-528i.wav.html

I drive a 2001 E39 528i Auto (Double Vanos) with about 68000km mileage.

Lately I have been hearing Clanking Sound from the rear of the car when I engage the auto gearbox to D or R. There is no sound when I move it to P or N. The sound is clanking sound 3 times in successon. The sound can be heard when I am accelerating or decelerating at low speeds. There is no sound at cruising speeds.

I have recorded the sound and attached above. The sound is recorded whilst the car is in stationary and engaging D to R and vice versa. Please advice.
Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
selector

get some help from a good friend allow them to engage the transmission from N to D with all brakes on! in and out till you can locate the sound.
could be many things ..
idling high making the vehicle snap the transmission into ratios to fast. another could be uni type joints worn and causing lash at the differential. listen a little closer and keep your eyes open....
whilst the car is stationary, turned off with park brake engaged try and rotate the tail shaft closest to the diff, back and forth solidly( by Hand)
if there is excessive play or those clunking sounds can be heard its one of many things that needs to be repaired asap
only guessing but tail shaft uni joint.
ANY VIBRATIONS AT CRUISING SPEEDS????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.