2001 Clear Coat Flaking Off - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bryno540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Please help guys.

I have a late 2001 540iA with 48k miles. My wife drives it and we garage almost all the time. Anyway, we have been noticing over the last couple months some clear coat 'flaking' off the hood and some by the gas tank lid. The hood problems are on the leading edge. Some of the spots are as small as dimes and one as large as half dollar.

Took the car in today to my dealership as the NA rep was in today. He says they are not liable as it is the result of rock chips.

I have owned several cars, none as "quality" (questionable right now) as a 540, including a 1999 323, but I have NEVER experienced clear coat flaking off the paint.

Has anyone else had this problem either associated with rock chips or otherwise. I will admit that there are rock chips on the leading edge of the hood, but again, I have never know it to cause the clear coat to flake off.

If anyone has advice of helpful knowledge, pleae advise.

Thanks,

Bryan
bryno540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 06:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point
Clearcoat chipping off is one thing. if its actually flaking that means something went wrong where the clearcoat did not make a good adhesion to the basecoat surface.

There is no question that the clearcoat is just failing to stick if it is actually flaking. Do you have a picture? Usually when paint flakes due to rock chips, it goes down to all layers of the paint since they bond to eachother really well.

I also really doubt that your getting clear coat flakes on the GAS TANK LID due to rock chips. This should be under warrany.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
I have heard stories of the laquer flaking off on some Euro e39's and the owners had a hard time getting bmw to do anything about it. I don't know if US cars are made in the same factory as euro (As I think BMW have a large plant in California)but most likely they are - As far as I am aware this should definetly be covered by the warranty. But if US BMW dealers are as bad as UK ones it will be a long haul to get them to agree to this - Don't give up though, there is no reason on this earth that laquer should flake on any car other than a bad paint job/problem with the laquer which ARE BMW's problem.

Don't want to be a doom monger but the only other thing I can think of has this car been resprayed for any reason previous to you owning it - resprayers often laquer over the paint work without first removing any overspray as if they were just applying another coat of paint, and this can produce the symptoms you state.

If not keep badgering BMW, I know it can be tiresome but you do have rights.

Good luck!
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bryno540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the support guys. Yes, it is actually flaking and you can get your fingernail under the edge and pick up more. It is that bad. I wil post some pics as soon as I get my car back today. Funny thing is, the dealership is trying to help (guilt maybe?), but BMWNA is telling me they don't care to back their product.

If anyone has had this issue before, it would sure help my case. If I can hear that this hasn't happened to others, it might help me even more, if you know what I mean. Either way, I can't see how this isn't a build issue.

Thanks,
Bryno
bryno540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
atomic_dogg is an unknown quantity at this point
your dealer should do paint checks on a regular basis and if so correct them by means of small repairs, its normal that small stones and dirt causes some scratches and litlle chips off the paint and if those little "holes" in the paint aren't treated like they should be then you'll get that effect. Also the temp and humidity play a big part.
atomic_dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry Atomic I don't agree!

A stone chip should never turn into flaking laquer holes the size of dimes - if the laquer is bonded to the paint properly it will never see this effect, remember also this is a 2001 car! less than 4 yrs old. If it was yours would you just accept previous faulty maintainence as an excuse?
BeelZibub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Been here a while.

Car: Blah
Photos:
97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
I say..... BMW fix it... or they can have their car back. Thats horrible... unless its owner induced... which its not... BMW should atleast hold up and stand behind their products.

I've never had a problem with them standing behind their products... so good luck.. they should work with you...

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
97alpineM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)