BMW Werkz banner

2000 528i Questions?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
Hi,

Are there things I should watch out for when purchasing such a car? I have been looking around and I need some questions that I am puzzled at answered. This person that owns this 2000 BMW 528i told me that he only changes the oil once a year because it indicates the oil ware at the dashboard and if it is not in the red zone the dealer want even take the car to change the oil. Is this true? I only have owned Toyota’s and I have been doing all the repairs and also maintenance on my own. I change the oil every 3k and also the filter, and when I heard this guy telling me that he only changes it every year that scared me a little. Is this normal for a BMW? So basically he had 50k miles on it and it was a 2000 which means he did every year 10k miles and only changes the oil at 10k miles. WOW. Is the insurance high on these cars? Let’s say I have a clean record. Also, are parts expensive for it? Like filter and the normal maintenance parts. So if anyone out there could help me out I would really appreciate it. Just give me an approximation of $ spend on insurance and also parts and if the oil change is correct and if there is anything else I should be aware before I buy on of this cars. Thanks.

#2 ·
Originally posted by CLP86ROM@Feb 7 2005, 03:23 AM
Hi,

Are there things I should watch out for when purchasing such a car? I have been looking around and I need some questions that I am puzzled at answered. This person that owns this 2000 BMW 528i told me that he only changes the oil once a year because it indicates the oil ware at the dashboard and if it is not in the red zone the dealer want even take the car to change the oil. Is this true? I only have owned Toyota’s and I have been doing all the repairs and also maintenance on my own. I change the oil every 3k and also the filter, and when I heard this guy telling me that he only changes it every year that scared me a little. Is this normal for a BMW? So basically he had 50k miles on it and it was a 2000 which means he did every year 10k miles and only changes the oil at 10k miles. WOW. Is the insurance high on these cars? Let’s say I have a clean record. Also, are parts expensive for it? Like filter and the normal maintenance parts. So if anyone out there could help me out I would really appreciate it. Just give me an approximation of $ spend on insurance and also parts and if the oil change is correct and if there is anything else I should be aware before I buy on of this cars. Thanks.
[snapback]287019[/snapback]​
Welcome to our forum

Oil: Yes this can be very true about the motor oil; also the transmission fluid is life time..no changes at least for over 100.000 miles on some of these cars; on my own car just changed it for the first time at 118.000 miles.
insurance: just having a perfect Motor vehicle record does not mean good ins. rates for you; many factor at play here: age, marital status, geographic location city/suburbs, garaged vs. street parking etc. Call several brokers/companies. I pay close to $1200 annual on 97 528i close to $1150 on 2004 Jeep GC but again......don't mean anything in your case-state, location, age.......etc
Bmw Parts: up there; but you can get good quality stuff over the net. Labor is the problem..I guess in any car, for a bimmer yes it is above average at the dealer and it is expected after all it is a luxury car.....we cann't complaint; can we?
2000 528i: this year in particular is a good year since they worked out most of the bugs in the E39 model around the year 2000-2001.

whatever you do we wish you the best.
regards
billb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.