1997 528i Loud engine/transmission noise with video - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lykkan is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
1997 528i Loud engine/transmission noise with video

1997 528i Loud engine/transmission noise

Hello, I did some tests on a BMW I was looking to buy. Compression tested all cylinders, 160 +/- 10 lbs on six.
The owner took me for a drive in it, transmission wouldn't shift automatically (abs and asc lights were on, so probably an ABS sensor). Whenever he shifted, if he pushed on the gas it sounded like the driveshaft was banging underneath the center console, but if he lifted his foot off the gas for a second then stepped on it it accelerated like normal.

Either the engine or the transmission make a god-awful noise, and I'm not sure which one it's coming from. The noise will disappear for a second, but if the engine idles-down, it gets loud. Here's the codes that the car gave off:

Here's a video/sound clip of it starting and running:
1997 528i Engine or transmission knock - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 04:20 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

First, how did you get the codes to read out on your iphone? That is awesome!

I watched the video, and that sounds god awful. What is your plan for this car? Are you prepared to put in a lot of time and money to get it running properly? The O2 sensors being bad will cause the car to run poorly as the DME cant properly correct the air/fuel ratio so it just guess. Fixing that will help. However it sounds like something is banging around inside. Could be anything from a bad Vanos, to a bent valve or something more serious.

I dont know what your plan is for this car, but I personally would walk away. This is going to need some serious work. Unless you want to do an engine swap and a manual tranny swap and you just want this shell, then this car is not worth it.

Heres some info about the torque convertor code:

Quote:
SI B 24 08 00 FC 48 "Solenoid Valve Converter Lock-up Clutch" Stored in the TCM/EGS for all E39 528iA/iAT with 5L40E (GM5) states to check the transmission fluid level and condition. If the transmission fluid and level is OK, replace the solenoid valve for the converter lock-up clutch (TCC solenoid).If the condition of the fluid isn't up to par,a solenoid wouldn't fix worn gears.Since you have taken care of your vehicle and you stated that there are NO abnormal shift characteristics,replace the (P/N 24 32 7 504 743) TCC solenoid (TCC pressure regulator).If there are other faults such as speed monitoring,don't waste your money (approx. $300.00 or more) for the solenoid and the oil.

If you have the GM4 (THMR1) transmission like you say you do.You need to locate the Identification plate anyways to get the SERIAL NUMBER of the transmission so write down all the information on the label to verify the model of your transmission.If the Serial Number is 5215898 or LOWER, install the TCC kit p/n
24 27 1 423 311. IF HIGHER,the torque converter needs to be replaced.Before all these repairs can be made,an important test needs to be performed in order to repair the problem correctly without spending a lot of money.If the fluid quality is okay,you need to ACTIVATE the TCC Solenoid and check its ON/OFF operation.You will be able to hear a clicking sound if it works and continue with the steps outlined above.
If the solenoid doesn't click when activated ON/OFF,you only need to replace the TCC Solenoid with P/N 24 33 1 218 916

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 04:27 PM
n00b

Lykkan is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for responding. It's an app for android called Torque (f iphone's :P) that works with this adapter
Newest Elm327 Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBD II Auto Diagnostic Scanner Mini Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive Newest Elm327 Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBD II Auto Diagnostic Scanner Mini Adapter : Amazon.com : Automotive

I went back there last night, I've concluded that it's flexplate problem. He revved it up, and at any RPM above 1000 the noise is basically gone. The engine sounds perfect, nice and quiet. I think the momentum is enough to keep the flexplate from wobbling around. Either loose bolts or it's broken, we'll see. I'm going to go there in a few minutes and throw an offer out for the car. It has 186k miles, body and interior are very nice. I'll post updates when I find things out
#4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 PM
n00b

august is on a distinguished road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)