BMW Werkz banner

1995 e34 518i (m43) not starting

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Lino Martina 
#1 · (Edited)
Good day all,

So i recently was abandoned in the rain by my at that point not so trust and never fast stallion,.. Here is in detail what happened.

Driving in pouring rain,. car stalls, won't start up. Cranks,. does not start.
Towed it home, testing begins,. fuel in tank, pump not priming and no spark, checked fuses relays etc etc. Noticed no 12v on fuse 23,.. this plus no spark,.. my guess is the crank position sensor or pulse sensor.

Went to the dealer got a new one,. installed it,. and now the mystery commences,.. fuel is being deliverd ( i know this for i took a hose of and now my cat who was sitting fascinated on the passenger side relay/ecu box reeks like fuel :D. whoeps, flammable kitty.
When trying to crank the engine, it cranks,. TRIES to sputter,. makes a put put noise ( hollow sounding put put) but never starts.

I know the timing chain has not broken, i mean,. the whole shebang of pulleys n stuff turn,... or could it have jumped? Does not make sense to me, for why would then the fuel pump not prime and spark be eliminated ( CPS symptoms)

Now my best guess is that the cps somehow is not positioned close enough to the toothed wheel. I see quite a gap of more then 1 mm (workbook clearance),. BUT i see no way in how to position or adjust its bracket,..

Does anyone here have a clue on how to solve this mystery? My inspiration is getting low, and my cat hates me now :(

Thank you in advance

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.