1995 525i: Several Problems Any Tips? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 11:35 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
huffj786 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
ghead

Hello all,
First post! Anyway, I recently bought a '95 525i from a guy in NJ. I just passed a MD inspection, but I'm now finding all kinds of stuff wrong with the car. Little stuff, but I would still like to get them fixed. No, I didn't have a mechanic check it out ahead of time...I know..... but, I only paid $7,450 and it is in overall great shape. So, here are my main issues:

* Windshield washer jets not spraying - I just ordered a new pump from bavauto but I would like some other advice incase that does not work. Also, I'm not realy sure how to install it..

* I guess the guy had a tire sitting on the back seat because I can see half of the tire name neatly outlined on the rear seat back.

More to follow.....

Any help would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 04:18 PM
5th Gear Member

d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
well, your first purchase should be the Bentley service manual for the e34.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/TiddlyPlatypus.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>
#3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 06:46 PM
n00b

riverarb is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by d3ity@Oct 14 2004, 05:18 PM
well, your first purchase should be the Bentley service manual for the e34.
[snapback]211315[/snapback]
Yes, Get the service manual.....roll up your sleeves and dive in. It's the greatest satisfaction knowing you can fix your bimmer w/out the dealer cost$$$

<span style='color:green'>Retired Army </span>
#4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 08:15 PM
n00b

walt525tour is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

congratulations.

I have a '95 525ia touring that I bought in August. 125,000 miles

It was not used much the year before I bought it.
I think that contributed to alot of the things I have had to do.
I hope you have another car to use while you spend time fixing this one.
Don't get me wrong I really love my car, but after 100,000 there are things that will need attention.

Check out the bmwe34.net http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm

I have been surprised that these are relatively easy cars to work on repair info is also available online and sometimes the pics and directions are better than bentley's. again look at bmwe34.net and also http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../tech_main.htm

So far, I have had to replace the water pump, change the coolant, replace the coolant tank and replace the fan shroud.
I have replaced the valve cover gasket, oil was slowly leaking down the head.

Seeking to stay on top of future problems I replaced the thrust arms and changed the ATF filter and fluid.

In addition I have replaced all filters including
fuel, air, cabin air, oil, and transmission.

Just when I thought i would have a few weeks of smooth sailing it wouldn't start. It turned over but failed to start. First thinking it was electrical I changed the spark plugs. But it turns out it was the fuel pump I am currently waiting for the part to come.

One great thing about the e34 is that parts are available reasonably priced online. And most places if you spend more than $50 shipping is free. The longest I have had to wait has been 3 days. I do have another car to use when my bmw is down.

Good luck.
By the way I am in NJ near philly. Where are you?
#5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 08:17 PM
n00b

Talking

congratulations.

I have a '95 525ia touring that I bought in August. 125,000 miles

It was not used much the year before I bought it.
I think that contributed to alot of the things I have had to do.
I hope you have another car to use while you spend time fixing this one.
Don't get me wrong I really love my car, but after 100,000 there are things that will need attention.

Check out the bmwe34.net http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm

I have been surprised that these are relatively easy cars to work on repair info is also available online and sometimes the pics and directions are better than bentley's. again look at bmwe34.net and also http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech.../tech_main.htm

So far, I have had to replace the water pump, change the coolant, replace the coolant tank and replace the fan shroud.
I have replaced the valve cover gasket, oil was slowly leaking down the head.

Seeking to stay on top of future problems I replaced the thrust arms and changed the ATF filter and fluid.

In addition I have replaced all filters including
fuel, air, cabin air, oil, and transmission.

Just when I thought i would have a few weeks of smooth sailing it wouldn't start. It turned over but failed to start. First thinking it was electrical I changed the spark plugs. But it turns out it was the fuel pump I am currently waiting for the part to come.

One great thing about the e34 is that parts are available reasonably priced online. And most places if you spend more than $50 shipping is free. The longest I have had to wait has been 3 days. I do have another car to use when my bmw is down.

Good luck.
By the way I am in NJ near philly. Where are you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Walt_s__95_525_b.png
Views:	222
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	13592  
#6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 08:05 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Walt

Can you elaborate on the transmission fluid change ? type? where you changed it? dealer? etc. I was not able to get the life-time stuff from the dealer!!!!

thanks for the help
biilb
#7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 08:43 PM
n00b

huffj786 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,
Well, I did replace the washer pump and ta-da!!!

I'm not too keen on hearing about all the things that are going to break down.... I've been working on this thing for like three weeks straight.

Ah well...it is a great car. It's either this or take it to a mechanic. I deffinately don't have the dinero for that.

I ordered Bentely; $49 on Amazon Should be here M or Tu. Thnx for the advice though guys.

I also replaced the air(easy) and microfilter (time consuming).

Any ideas about the back seat? I guess I could post some pics....

walt525tour, I'm in Frederick, MD

PEACE
#8 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 11:38 PM
n00b

Walt,
Can you elaborate on the transmission fluid change ? type? where you changed it? dealer? etc. I was not able to get the life-time stuff from the dealer!!!!

thanks for the help
biilb

I have the gm transmission and I put red Mobil 1 dexron III in that I bought at pep boys
Cost about $5 a quart - I bought 5 if i remember right. I replaced the ATF in my power steering with it too.
I bought a new gasket and filter and followed the instructions on Pelicanparts.
The odd thing was that I had to put more fluid in after it got hot, when I first filled it shifting was not right and I drove it to warm it up then checked the fluid and instead of expanding it was low and I added another half a quart.

Hope that helps Bill

later,
Walt
#9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 10:22 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
WAlt
thanks for the reply
see yah
bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)