1994 530i 187,000 miles - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Jody02 is on a distinguished road
1994 530i 187,000 miles

Hi All Joe here in Orlando, Sunny Hot Florida

I have a 1994 530i with 187,000 miles V8 Engine.
Just had my power steering hose replaced, the car sits for 2 months before I had the repairs made. The mechanic had problems starting so he engaged the starter continuously for approximately two minutes, finally the car started. Two days later as I was starting the car I heard a clink noise so I cut the car off and tried to start it again. The car would'nt start, I called the mechanic he asked me a couple questions and he said that I needed to replace the starter. I got another mechanic to come over to replace the starter but before he replaced the starter he test the starter, he bypassed the starter and the starter ran continuously but the ignition was not on so the car did not start. So I tried to start the car and I noticed that the relay started to smoke a little. So the mechanic tried to bypass the starter once again and we got nothing from the starter this time. The BMW mechanic told me that he believes the starter solenoid is bad so tomorrow I am having the mechanic to replace the starter. Do anyone have any suggestions?
Jody02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Cool

if relay smoked, then there may have been damaged sustained. How much damage, and whether it will still be useable over a period of time will have to be for your "trusted" mechanic to discern and see visually.

Possible that the solenoid is indeed shorted thus causing an overload on the relay(the cause of the smoke you saw).

at 187,000 miles with no known history of starter replacement, I would say YES, that would be a reasonable repair. If the relay is within your budget, it will be proper to change that too.

Your mech will be good to check the wires also for damage(if any).

Best of Luck to you.
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
1994 530i starter problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse737 View Post
if relay smoked, then there may have been damaged sustained. How much damage, and whether it will still be useable over a period of time will have to be for your "trusted" mechanic to discern and see visually.

Possible that the solenoid is indeed shorted thus causing an overload on the relay(the cause of the smoke you saw).

at 187,000 miles with no known history of starter replacement, I would say YES, that would be a reasonable repair. If the relay is within your budget, it will be proper to change that too.

Best of Luck to you.
Thanks for your quick reply, I am going to purchase the starter relay as well
Old 08-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1995 530i & 1986 535i
Photos:
jimoreno is on a distinguished road
It sounds like your first mechanic killed your starter by running it for too long. starters should not be run for longer than 20 to 30 seconds at a time.
jimoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
It sounds like your first mechanic killed your starter by running it for too long. starters should not be run for longer than 20 to 30 seconds at a time.
I strongly agree with you.
Yesterday this guy came over and he bypassed the starter and the starter run continuously without stopping, he said the starter was good but after I turned the key a couple times and he checked the starter again he determine the starter was bad. He told he would complete the job for 40 bucks. Today he came back with a friend and he said as he was jumping my car up that he would have to charge me 80 bucks (which is not much) but I ask him why did he say 40 bucks the day before and he denied that he said he would charge me 40 bucks, I asked him to remove his jack from my car and leave my property. I don't him that I don't deal with lairs and the only reason I allowed him to change my starter because he was referred by a friend. So now I have a certified mechanic coming over on Saturday.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
318kid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 318kid
started shouldnt be too hard. i've changed out a few for fam. members. do it yourself and save the money. i turn most of my own and my family's wrenches. if i dont know something i learn it
318kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318kid View Post
started shouldnt be too hard. i've changed out a few for fam. members. do it yourself and save the money. i turn most of my own and my family's wrenches. if i dont know something i learn it
I just had the old starter removed and the new used starter installed. The new used starter started fine yesterday until I cut the car off and tried to restart only thinkg I could hear was a click. I tried about 30 minutes later and then the car started with no problems. I started the car this morning and run the engine for roughly 15 minutes and the car sat all day, I tried to start the car this evening and all I get is a click like the starter is trying but just not turning over. As far as me replacing this starter it is in an awkward place and I can't get to all the bolts and I don't have a hydraulic jack.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
318kid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 318kid
yea, never worked on the 530 we have so i wouldnt be able to help you. good luck.. maybe darkhorse can give you some helpful ideas.
318kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:

Best of Luck to you.
1994 530i I just had the new starter (used) installed, the car didn't start right away, so I changed the relay around and the car started, I drove the car with no problems, I shut the engine off and tried it several times and it started with no problems, 30 minutes later the engine wouldn't start but I heard a click sound, I tried to change the relays around and the car started. I went to visit family for several hours and the started with no problems (I did notice that the car is a hard start). I return home for the evening, the next morning I car started with no problems, I didn't try to start the car again until the afternoon but now the car will not start only one click and that is it, I changed the relays around but nothing but just a click. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Battery is low.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
Battery is low.
Why bother, my battery is new brand new one week old
Old 08-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 88 super ETA, 95 525i
Photos:
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody02 View Post
1994 530i I just had the new starter (used) installed, the car didn't start right away, so I changed the relay around and the car started, I drove the car with no problems, I shut the engine off and tried it several times and it started with no problems, 30 minutes later the engine wouldn't start but I heard a click sound, I tried to change the relays around and the car started. I went to visit family for several hours and the started with no problems (I did notice that the car is a hard start). I return home for the evening, the next morning I car started with no problems, I didn't try to start the car again until the afternoon but now the car will not start only one click and that is it, I changed the relays around but nothing but just a click. Do you have any suggestions?
Please check your cables. From the way you describe the problems, i might be there is a loose cable from the battery. It's common to see this in BMW where the battery is rearward(under the rear seat or trunk) - cables are unusually long and the length of the cable also reduces the voltage "pressure". Loose connection/s and corrosion inside the cables will complicate this. Check also that there is NO RUST where the negative cable connects to the body. lotsa times that is where the prob lies.

**Check and see also that the ground wire from the chassis to the engine is intact and tight.

Other than that... Marti, has a point.
Even if your battery is new if the new battery is defective, it is not charging properly OR if it is not receiving a charge, then it becomes a matter of time before you battery discharges.

have the battery's integrity checked. Make sure the alternator is working

Last edited by darkhorse737; 08-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
darkhorse737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Help from over the pond

Car: E38 1997 728i Individual
Photos:
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody02 View Post
Why bother, my battery is new brand new one week old
Why bother ??????, so please enlighten me where in any of the above posts you have mentioned you have replaced the battery a week ago ????

And

Thank you, darkhorse for your input on the battery side of things.

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!

Last edited by marti5; 08-24-2009 at 01:46 PM.
marti5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:

Quote:
Please check your cables. From the way you describe the problems, i might be there is a loose cable from the battery. It's common to see this in BMW where the battery is rearward(under the rear seat or trunk) - cables are unusually long and the length of the cable also reduces the voltage "pressure". Loose connection/s and corrosion inside the cables will complicate this. Check also that there is NO RUST where the negative cable connects to the body. lotsa times that is where the prob lies.

**Check and see also that the ground wire from the chassis to the engine is intact and tight.

Even if your battery is new if the new battery is defective, it is not charging properly OR if it is not receiving a charge, then it becomes a matter of time before you battery discharges.

Thanks for your assistance, I have a BMW certified mechanic coming tomorrow to conduct a diagnosis on the car. Thanks again
Old 09-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:

Thanks so much for your help with my starter problem. The problem was that the technican didn't place the wires correctly onto the starter nor did he route the wires correctly, so I had a BMW tech to fix the starter problems for me. It cost me $140.00 just to have a starter installed correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)