BMW Werkz banner

1994 525i Overheating Problem

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
I've been struggling with the overheating problem on my 94 525i. I've done the following:

1. bled the system
2. replaced radiator
3. replaced all hoses
4. replaced thermostat
5. replaced water pump
6. replaced auxilary fan

The problem persists and the expansion tank is overflowed.
What else do I need to do or look for?

Thank you.

#2 ·
Stop waisting money please; you know what gets me in this situation? when the mechanic graps the fan with a rag while engine is running. The fan will stop and tells me you see you need a fan clutch!! $200 plus only to come back home and grab the new fan and it does stop just like the old one!!!

Go to a good mechanic to perform a pressure/compression test on the head (easy test through the spark plug hole) it sounds like a bad head...I hope I am wrong for your sake

good luck let us know
regards
billb

#4 ·
Check your fan clutch while your at it, although it sounds like that isnt the issue, fan clutches are odd.

#5 ·
Originally posted by billB@Oct 12 2004, 07:24 PM
Stop waisting money please; you know what gets me in this situation? when the mechanic graps the fan with a rag while engine is running. The fan will stop and tells me you see you need a fan clutch!! $200 plus only to come back home and grab the new fan and it does stop just like the old one!!!

Go to a good mechanic to perform a pressure/compression test on the head (easy test through the spark plug hole) it sounds like a bad head...I hope I am wrong for your sake

good luck let us know
regards
billb
[snapback]210120[/snapback]​
Got the car back. It cost me $360. They replaced the fan clutch and bled the cooling system. The car is no longer overheat and running fine. Now, I am running into a new problem, every 2-3 days I have to add more coolant to expansion tank and I can not find any leakage. I called the mechanic and told him the probem and he told me that I may have a blown head gasket or a crack head. Do you have any suggestions?? Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

#7 ·
Originally posted by sixrooter+Oct 29 2004, 12:14 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sixrooter @ Oct 29 2004, 12:14 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-billB@Oct 12 2004, 07:24 PM

good luck let us know
regards
billb
[snapback]210120[/snapback]​
Got the car back. It cost me $360. They replaced the fan clutch and bled the cooling system. The car is no longer overheat and running fine. Now, I am running into a new problem, every 2-3 days I have to add more coolant to expansion tank and I can not find any leakage. I called the mechanic and told him the probem and he told me that I may have a blown head gasket or a crack head. Do you have any suggestions?? Please advise.

Thank you in advance.
[snapback]220368[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Dear Sixrooter
Sounds like bleeding cured the overheating problem not the clutch however you still loosing coolant and It is not too late to try the above!! When I had the same problem I changed the fan clutch plus thermos; did not overheat for 3-4 days. Overheating again? took it to dealer and they decided on bad fan clutch and they changed the clutch again plus the thermostat (the argument was the possibility of defected BMW parts-that is the ones I installed 3-4 days earlier)!! again a week later I found out the problem after I took a nice ride sitting next to the tow truck driver to bring the car home. Guess what? YES you guessed it; overheated again but it was the head for $2500-$3000 plus my weekends labor.
Good luck
regards
billb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.