BMW Werkz banner

1991 Bmw 520i E34 problem Please help

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mrpuffin708 
#1 ·
Hi people i hope you can help me i have got a 1991 bmw 520i E34 it is running on 5 cylinders at low revs under load but when it gets past 3k it seems to be ok??? any ideas

Please help

#5 ·
I have looked at the air filter and it is fine i have looked all over the internet and it sounds like it might be 1 of the coil packs that is knackerd. is there anyone in manchester that has a spare coil pack so i can test it on mine as i dont have lots on money trying things out.

if so please message me

Thanks

Richard

#6 ·
Hi me again

My dad has changed the spark plugs while i was at work yesterday and the car run's a lot better but now when stopped at lights or idling you can smell fuel very strong inside the car and from low rmp under load it slightly misfires

Any ideas???

Thanks

Richard

#7 ·
Try the fuel pressure regulator and/or cleaning the ICV. I am still haveing similar problems with mine and those are my next steps. After doing a lot of research on the forum that is what i came up to try next. The ICV is a PITA to get to get to under the intake manifold. Hope this helps.

Ando

#9 ·
Hi All,

Mark here fro Australia. I am having the same issue with mine. It only started about 3 weeks ago after I filled up (the tank was very low). I am thinking it is fuel quality related. I am going to try a fuel system cleaner and then work my way through the fuel filter and then an injector clean. Will let you know how I go.

First time on the site, I am finding it very helpful.

Cheers,

mark

#10 ·
Try this - hope it helps

Rbooth / Duggmark,

if you have not done so - please try it !! It sounds like the troubles I've been having since 3 yrs ago - when I got the car,same 520i M50 engine.
Just to recap - feels like it's running on 5 cyls, when it's cold it fine when temp is up crappy idling etc. I take it the fuel consumption has been affected.
Now for the Co2 adjustment..only way is to hook up modic II and have that setting in the ECU re-adjusted.IF you have starting problems (difficult) and
moving off in 1st gear -where it seems like hesitation on the border of stalling - then it's most definitely what I had. A CRAPPY Carbon Canister / Charcoal Canister. Remove the hose from the fuel tank that leads IN to the canister, bypass the canister / eleminate it run the hose directly into the purge valve, the other end of tube remains going into the TB.
Try that and see what happens. I did mine a few days ago WORKED Like a CHARM. no more poor starts,takes off from standstill like a grey hound in heat.

I used to have oil in the intake (large amounts) that were also weeping thru the seals (cylinder head) No more..also no more of that engine oil smell in the air after you've driven it hard.

it's great my FC has improved big time. Try it chaps..I hope it works for you.

Cheers
Dom

#11 ·
can anyone show me where the charcoal cannister is and where the purge valve is. i just got my 90 525 and it has the worst acceleration of any car i have owned. i know it should be better than that cause i have owned two 90 325. i have a lot of problems and need a lot of parts. any help would be greatly appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.