BMW Werkz banner

1991 auto tranny with a 1992 auto tranny (e34)

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  dubumb 
#1 ·
I found a transmission off of a 1991 e34 that is automatic... Will that be directly swappable with my 1992 auto tranny? I'm pretty sure that both the 91 and 92 e34s had the m50 engine... But I just want to double check this.. Any input would be appreciated!

Also, How long do you think it would take a mechanic to swap the transmissions out? I'd like to estimate the labor bill...

Thanks a lot.

#4 ·
thats wierd...

i looked at buying a 91 525 , i dont remember if it was the m50 or m20, but.... it was manufactured in 9/90 and the papers said it was a 91. The one i ended up buying was manufactured in 9/90 and the papers say it is a 90. lol... so i wouldnt doubt that there were both engines in one year.

#5 ·
Crap... I better find out

#6 ·
You have to check the make and model of the transmission. There were a few different transmissions used. Everything has to work with your current EGS module and programming, not to mention the harness.

#7 ·
i purpose this question, why do you want an auto tranny?

#8 ·
So even if the engine is also an m50 it may not be directly swappable? This sounds kinda fishy...

As for the auto--My auto tranny is dying right now and I dont wanna pay $100000 in labor to convert it from an auto to manual...

#9 ·
If it is from an m50 engine... what would I need to do a conversion if it's not the same exact make/model tranny?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.