BMW Werkz banner

1990 535i

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Torque 
#1 ·
After driving the vehicle for approximately 20 miles than stopping , when moving again a clicking sound comes out. The noise sounds like a card in a bicycle rim going round. This noise appears to be created by heat, and rarely comes out at night or cooler tempertures

#3 ·
Originally posted by Makailaw@Nov 14 2004, 01:28 AM
After driving the vehicle for approximately 20 miles than stopping , when moving again a clicking sound comes out. The noise sounds like a card in a bicycle rim going round. This noise appears to be created by heat, and rarely comes out at night or cooler tempertures
[snapback]230532[/snapback]​
From the drivers seat it sounds like the sound is comming from the right side, from the passengers seat it sounds like its comming from the left side. Possible the sound is traveling from the center or rear of vehicle. Their is no negative feeling on the steering wheel

#4 ·
Makailaw

Since you cannot pinpoint the location of the noise and earlier you said it sounds like " a card in a bicycle rim going round" I'll start by looking at each wheel first to see if any objects (whatever they are) are touching/rubbing the wheels.Wheel size?
If not in the wheels someone has to lift the car up and inspect the whole driveshaft assembly from the tranny all the way to the rear axle.
Having said that, if the sound is more like rumbling sound and gets louder when you speed up, then my quess will be on one of those bearings. To be sure while driving try to steer left/right (to increase the load on either side) and feel/hear changes in the pitch and/or sound.
As you can see, it is not an easy task to deal with such issue without actually driving the car. Thus a local mechanic may tell you what the problem is; and hence an estimate, then you decide on the DIY issue.
I hope this will help you in sorting out your problem.
Good luck
billb

#5 ·
i'd guess its something in the fan since it only happens when the car is hot.

check the plastic cover over the spark plug wires in the front/center. i was changing my spark plugs tonight and knocked mine just enough into the fan.

when i turned the car on i got the same baseball card sound.

good luck!

#6 ·
Originally posted by hpacc@Nov 23 2004, 01:25 AM
i'd guess its something in the fan since it only happens when the car is hot.

check the plastic cover over the spark plug wires in the front/center. i was changing my spark plugs tonight and knocked mine just enough into the fan.

when i turned the car on i got the same baseball card sound.

good luck!
[snapback]235720[/snapback]​
yeah, it is very possible that it's the fan. space around where it is located is very tight, and if it's off balance one bit it can be scraping something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.