1990 525i stereo wiring problems..... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yakker is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
1990 525i stereo wiring problems.....

Ok, i just bought a 1990 525i and the stock stereo wiring was already chopped up, no plugs or anything, everything just taped together. I'm trying to install a pioneer 6400 HU that is giving me a hell of a time. I've searched and searched for wiring diagrams and stuff and the best i cam across is the thread that is a little further down this page. From what I can tell it has the old wiring.

yellow
blue
yellow/black
blue/black

black striped
white
white/purple
brown
2 brown/orange twisted together

I've been going by this thread Here and it sounds just like mine, but i can't find the grey for memory and i have no idea what the brown/orange 2 wires are for. Any help would be much appreciated cause this whole driving in silence is starting to drive me nuts... THANKS guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Oh yeah and i've tested for constant 12v with no luck, I can only find the white/purple which is switched 12v.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice
LOL! It is just like yours. The orange and brown is the ground, which originally went to the back chassi of the stock unit. These will need to got the black wire on your new unit's harness. The (memory) wire is YELLOW, originally went to a grey plug along with the dimmer (white) wire (not needed), The yellow memory wire goes to the yellow on your new harness. If it was cut off, look further into your harness, it has to be there somewhere.

If you need further assistance, post hear again and I, or Da Bull, the 12V God, my mentor, can walk you through it. Good Luck.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 04:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Awesome! Thanks alot, I just figured it out thanks to your help. The brown/orange and the yellow memory wire were the key to all my problems. The only two plugs that were left on my harness were yellow and white to grey plug and the 12v/ground black plug. I guess the previous owner wasn't too worried about his stereo reseting everytime he turned off the car... oh well... And thanks again, very much appreciated.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnstrcklnd
LOL! It is just like yours. The orange and brown is the ground, which originally went to the back chassi of the stock unit. These will need to got the black wire on your new unit's harness. The (memory) wire is YELLOW, originally went to a grey plug along with the dimmer (white) wire (not needed), The yellow memory wire goes to the yellow on your new harness. If it was cut off, look further into your harness, it has to be there somewhere.

If you need further assistance, post hear again and I, or Da Bull, the 12V God, my mentor, can walk you through it. Good Luck.
lol I have taught you well, young grasshoppa...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakker
Awesome! Thanks alot, I just figured it out thanks to your help. The brown/orange and the yellow memory wire were the key to all my problems. The only two plugs that were left on my harness were yellow and white to grey plug and the 12v/ground black plug. I guess the previous owner wasn't too worried about his stereo reseting everytime he turned off the car... oh well... And thanks again, very much appreciated.
Glad he got ya goin', to the forums btw...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 02:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the welcome, this is definetly my favorite bimmer forum so far.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:04 PM
3rd Gear Member

jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice jnstrcklnd is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakker
Im glad I could be of assistance. You are most definetly welcome.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
da_administrator

We are all pretty peaceful, stick around for a few thousand posts. Check out the Member's Lounge too, thats where most of the strange and unexplained happen, then you can come back in here for some sanity...

#10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
lol I have taught you well, young grasshoppa...
LOL! Thanks. I couldn't have done it without you!!
#11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM
n00b

beyondnascar is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks Guys!

Just a note to let you know this is still a valuable thread! Same story here. Just bought my first BMW a 1990 525i and the stereo was there but all wires cut and I used this thread. The wire colors on yakkers SONY are exactly the same wires on the JVC I got.

Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge!
#12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 06:57 PM
n00b

91green535i is on a distinguished road
new on this forum

Hi everyone i just became the proud new owner of a 91 535i 5speed island green/parchment int. The car has 106k on it and is in immaculate condition. I previously owned 2 e30s but am getting out of them for a bit bc of needing a bigger car.

Here's my radio problem everything in the car is original so it has the am/fm cassette radio with 10 speakers and amp. The sound cuts out alot like ill have the radio on and it will crackle then no sound. Has anyone else had this problem? Im thinking its something to do with the amp or a wire going to the amp because the headunit stays powered fine just no sound. Also another thing to mention is that when the ignition is off the radio will stay on unless you turn it off by the knob. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)