1988 530i Starting Difficulties - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:17 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Harramog is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I've got a BMW530i SE 1988/89 model which is perfect in every sense for it's age apart from the problem I get from cold start. Generally it doesn't fire up on the turn of the key, but will take 2 or 3 long burst to get it going. When it does fire up it sounds and feels really "Chokey". When the car is started after being run, it fires up first time and is fine. Not really being flush with money, I was hoping somebody could advise me on what the problem might be and if it is an expensive problem to put right?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as it is becoming embarrassing at times when I'm sat there trying to start my Beamer!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 08:04 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
HArramog : the problem I get from cold start Not really being flush with money

Well the cheapest way out is to take your spark plugs out; you may try to check/clean them! Never tried it myself but many people do. Cost? $0 or choose to change them with new ones; cost? about $18 for 6 of them. As such and as a minimum you will be able to eliminate the possibility of bad spark plugs.

What is next? The list will grow much bigger with several electronic components and way much more expensive than a mere spark plugs!!

Nevertheless I would start with NEW spark plugs for now.
let us know how you make out

good luck
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 09:17 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
billb

Thanks for taking the time to give your advice. I already had a oil, plugs and filters change about a month ago, so I'm now guessing it is going to be something to do with the electrics. A friend of mine thought that maybe BMW's had a Cold and Warm start setting, and it would be easy to get it linked up to a diagnostics machine to check this out. If this problem isn't that common then it looks like further investigation is needed maybe, which inevitably will cost me money, just hope it's not too much!!
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 01:04 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Harramog@Oct 29 2004, 02:17 PM
billb

Thanks for taking the time to give your advice. I already had a oil, plugs and filters change about a month ago, so I'm now guessing it is going to be something to do with the electrics. A friend of mine thought that maybe BMW's had a Cold and Warm start setting, and it would be easy to get it linked up to a diagnostics machine to check this out. If this problem isn't that common then it looks like further investigation is needed maybe, which inevitably will cost me money, just hope it's not too much!!
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
[snapback]220655[/snapback]
Faulty MAF???

Have the injectors checked - if they're blocked they'll most likely be squirting fuel into the cylinders rather than an atomised mist - That doesn't help starting.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 04:15 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
[/quote]

Faulty MAF???

Have the injectors checked - if they're blocked they'll most likely be squirting fuel into the cylinders rather than an atomised mist - That doesn't help starting.
[snapback]220746[/snapback]
[/quote]

If the injectors are blocked wouldn't the car have problems starting every time and not just when starting from cold? Once started and running, I can stop and start the car with no problems throughout the day, even after leaving it for 2-3 hours it normally starts first turn. It's just mainly the first start of the day which takes an absolute age (or what seems like it). Not being that mechanically minded, I was wondering if this model came with an automatic choke system that might be malfunctioning?? I dunno really, I am guessing!!
Again, thanks for all your suggestions, and anymore that you could think of.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 05:06 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Harramog

Also try to Give the following some thoughts: The ATS (Air Temp. Sensor) converts the temp of air into electronic signal to the ECU. The ECU adjusts fuel injection accordingly. This feedback mechanism is also controlled by electrical relays. As such COLD START system is ACTIVATED through these relays.

P.s. AMF will certianly give you a CHECK ENGINE CODE. Is the check engine light ON? Is so what it takes to get a code reader? GET A CODE! As such you will be able to elliminate this GUESS work!
regards
billb
#7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 07:18 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harramog,Oct 29 2004, 09:15 PM
Faulty MAF???

[snapback]220746[/snapback]
[/quote]

If the injectors are blocked wouldn't the car have problems starting every time and not just when starting from cold? Once started and running, I can stop and start the car with no problems throughout the day, even after leaving it for 2-3 hours it normally starts first turn. It's just mainly the first start of the day which takes an absolute age (or what seems like it). Not being that mechanically minded, I was wondering if this model came with an automatic choke system that might be malfunctioning?? I dunno really, I am guessing!!
Again, thanks for all your suggestions, and anymore that you could think of.
[snapback]220827[/snapback]
[/quote]

Excuse any spelling mistaks I have just consumd a bottle of vino and half a bottleof 75% absinthe

If you have one faulty injctor it may not show as a prob in the warm days BUT as the cold effects the syestem it may become a problem - fuck it i'm too fuckin pissed to care about this shit.buy a fault reader you tight cunt and it ill tell you where the problem is. vWhy do I fuckin bother???????????????????/

ps you quoted it as a 530I I MEANING IT IS A FUCKING INJECTION THISD ELIMINATES THE FACT IT HAS CHOKE PROBS - FUCKWIT, INJECTION SYSTEMSD DON'T HAVE A FUCKIN CHOKE LET ALONE A FUCKIN AUTOMATIC ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS IT INJECTION OR WHAT?????????????????? At the end of the day it'd fucking 16 years old - scrap the cunt and buy a decent car.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:10 PM
5th Gear Member

Poor ME: BEELZEEEEEEEEEE WOW.
Poor Harramog: SOME TECHNICAL ADVISE. IT IS!!!!
#9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 07:32 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Excuse any spelling mistaks I have just consumd a bottle of vino and half a bottleof 75% absinthe

If you have one faulty injctor it may not show as a prob in the warm days BUT as the cold effects the syestem it may become a problem - fuck it i'm too fuckin pissed to care about this shit.buy a fault reader you tight cunt and it ill tell you where the problem is. vWhy do I fuckin bother???????????????????/

ps you quoted it as a 530I I MEANING IT IS A FUCKING INJECTION THISD ELIMINATES THE FACT IT HAS CHOKE PROBS - FUCKWIT, INJECTION SYSTEMSD DON'T HAVE A FUCKIN CHOKE LET ALONE A FUCKIN AUTOMATIC ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IS IT INJECTION OR WHAT?????????????????? At the end of the day it'd fucking 16 years old - scrap the cunt and buy a decent car.
[snapback]220900[/snapback]
[/quote]

THANKS BeelZibub!!! Obviously a man with deep alcohol issues who thinks it's big and clever to abuse somebody with words? If I was a mechanical Genius like you, I also would have the right answers to every question asked on this forum........oh, I forgot, looking at all the advice you have given to countless problematic BMW owners seems to have been total SHITE!!!!! Stick to what you are good at, cos you aint no help to me with that sort of advice!
#10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2004, 07:40 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Billb

Thanks for some genuine advice, Ive not seen the CHECK ENGINE CODE come up but I will look into this and see what I come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)