'02 530i False "Check Brake Linings" Msg - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:34 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shiny Side Up is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
'02 530i False "Check Brake Linings" Msg

Okay Rocket Scientists I need some of your mojo!

'02 530i

Last year I replaced all the brake pads, rotors, and sensors for about $400.00 (cuz the dealer wanted $1,100.00). Used factory parts from Bavarian Auto. All good. No issues.

I was incredibly careful during the install - it's possible I dorked something, but everything went perfectly and I feel very comfortable now that install was clean. I want to mention the install because even though there was considerable delay from possible cause to effect, it answers the question "what changed"? But as time goes on I think I simply have a new problem.

This spring, the "Check Brake Linings" message appeared. Took it to the local dealer I hate the least. Said the rear sensor tripped, found nothing else, reset code, sent me packing.

3 months later, message again. This time they said it was front sensor tripped, but could subsequently find nothing, and they reset the code again.

Last week, 3rd occurrence. This time, I didn't go to the dealer and thought I'd check elsewhere first.

I did ask about resetting the message since brakes are clearly not failing, while I try to properly diagnose this. They told me hold left dash button, turn key one click, wait until message appears and then disappears, and that will reset it. This seems to work temporarily but now the message is occurring more frequently. Maybe I've reached the actual fail point of the root cause?

1) What is likely root cause?

2) The message that appears during the reset sequence changes. This was unexpected on my part. The latest one says "RESET SIA: 1870 1". The numbers change from time to time. I want to ask why they are changing, but I think I will get the answer to that, if I ask a better question: "Where can I find a list of ALL these SIA Codes?"

Appreciate any thoughts from the Teeming Masses...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

OK it's been a week, NOT EVEN A WRONG ANSWER from anyone. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

The most annoying thing is, the forum is MERCILESS until you make a post - every click is intercepted, telling you to POST POST POST.

I'd whine more, but Geez what did I expect? After all this is free.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 09:45 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I'd say the issue is with a sensor. Maybe a slightly loose connection.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 03:25 PM
n00b

Hypnotised is on a distinguished road
Brake Lining Light

Hey. I'm having the same problem. I just posted a nearly identical posting about 2 days ago, with the heading Brake Lining Light On on 8.15.08 under the name Hypnotised. I just replaced my pads and rotors on the front, and the rears are fine. I guess I just have to replace front and rear sensors and have the message code reset. I have an 87' 535i.

Good luck with that.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 05:34 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
I'd say the issue is with a sensor. Maybe a slightly loose connection.
yup... or a bad sensor itself(even if u say it's new)...
#6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well Dealer checked both sensors twice, and they are fine. Also it was fronts first time and backs last time - that seems to rule out an arbitrary bad sensor. I can't believe they both fail and then go good again. I put them in perfectly. I saw how it worked and nailed it.

If you press and hold left dash button, turn key one click, and wait until the code comes up, and then clears, and then start the car, (2002 now) it RESETs the fault. Stays clear for weeks at a time. Then re-fails.

So what MANAGES the sensors? Sounds like some brain has a sporadic short.

OK and also, who knows what the crazy dash board codes mean, like SIA 1876 1?????
#7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 02:23 AM
n00b

olgazagariya is on a distinguished road
brake lining, brake pad light reset

For free videos on how to reset a brake light check out Vehix 411 I always use this site for all of my vehicle maintenance.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:25 AM
n00b

Mr_Gigglz is on a distinguished road
Your problem is a broken connection or a bad wire.
Try taking a continuity tester or meter to the cabling.
Chances are that a connection or wire is broken

When i got my 93 525i the sensor wires were cut so i had to rewire all the brake sensors.

Let me know how it turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)