00' 528I, check engine, EML error (NFG) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ehlertepm is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
00' 528I, check engine, EML error (NFG)

Hey guys!
Today compounded/polished out all the cat/dog scratchs on the hood & trunk. Came out fantastic. Just like glass. Went further to "investigate" L headlight condensation problem. I believe I found the problem. (gasket seal on top, between lights & lens assy) However, the car now runs like crap & barely made it home at about 2 mph after returning back at couple hundred feet.
The seanero;
I took out the air filter assy & removed the driver headlight assy as directed in my new Bently paper manuals. (I'm a DIY guy with high mechanical skills)
However, something went wrong. I'm getting "check engine" & "EML" error code. I went through both the manuals front to back & nothing showing this error. I'm guessing it's the (MAP?) sensor between the air filter & intake? I'm told they are very sensitive to movement & dropping. As for electrical, nothing else was disconnected. Just the unit between the air filter & intake (guessing MAP sensor?) and headlights. Any input? Speculations?
Damn, this is discouraging....I know I did something wrong, somewhere, just can't figure out where it was.
BTW.....TIA!
I'm quite well understanding BMW now with the manuals. However, this one throws me for a loop!? I can't find anything about it. I know it's something stupid & overlooked. (how can remeding a headlight issue cause the car to run like crap!)
I'm sure you guy's delt with this before. I'd appriciate your input to save me a few bucks.
Thanks, Marty

BTW, I already ordered a R5FCX3 today. Should be here in next couple days.
Again...TIA...Later....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
The MAF is very sensitive, if you look through it you should see one or two very thin single strand wires, if its broken then its dead, however if its fine try giving it a clean with carb or brake cleaner (aerosols), also check the concertinaed pipe for splits or cracks especially in the lower crevices as you may have split it by removing it due to it getting hard and brittle over time...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 AM
42, The meaning of life

brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice brettski is just really nice
A simple test for the MAF is to disconnect the loom wires from it and see if the engine performance changes. I had big performance issues with my 740iL, no power down low (especially when cold) you had to nurse it up to 40 km/h and then it got better. My mechanic told me that it was down to blocked cats, but the Werkz crew helped me out through this process. If the performance does get better by simply unplugging the MAF, try cleaning it like marti5 suggested, if its still no go, get a new one.

RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog
will give you a great parts list, and is handy for locating where stuff is within the car.

Buy Car Parts - Aftermarket Auto Parts - Volvo Parts, VW Parts, Audi Parts, BMW Parts, Mercedes Parts, Porsche Parts is a site sponsor and parts supplier. They offer lifetime warranty on some parts.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guy's, I'll take out the MAF again & check it out today. I'm almost convinced that's the problem. I did disconnect it (electrically) when it was running, the motor died instantly, but started & ran (stumbling) when I plugged it back in. I did find the MAF in the manual. I'll test & visually inspect it this morning & let you know.
Thanks again
#5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well, took MAF out & it checked out good as did wiring & voltages. WTH?! Checked for rips/tears in intake...nothing & still very plyable. Nothing else to do but wait for scanner to arrive. So put tools away & lock/arm car with a new key the neighbor found & brought over yesterday. The new key would not arm the car so got inside & started it up to see if that worked. Car started, I lost the EML error & it started puring like a kitten again, wth? Turned it off & started it again...lost the "check engine" error and shortly after the DSC error went away too...WTH?!?! I did a drive cycle & everything is back to normal!
I have no proof but I suspect the newly found key may have "confused" the computer or it's battery was dead...or something to that effect. I used it when the problems showed up. Don't know? Just thought I'd pass this info along to perhaps save someone else the headaches. What gets me is the 3 different "system" errors all at once. I'm pretty sure it was the key. Who knows?
Thanks for the input guy's! Hope I can repay later....
Mart

Last edited by ehlertepm; 04-09-2010 at 05:25 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
dunno how it got fixed, but you are lucky.

FYI... "EML" has to do with the Electronic Throttle Circuits
#7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 09:14 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks man,
EML, as it turn out, was in the owners manual & not in the repair manuals...electronic motor control or something to that effect. I did however get my new scanner....it showed 8 errors such as dynamic stability control, break light switch, electronic throttle control, misfiring in various cylinders, stuck electric thermostat, etc... just a whole variety of different systems. Some may have been there prior so who knows what happened. Now that they're cleared out, I can monitor what's going on. I still think it had something to do with the "lost & found" key confusing the computer. But ????, just happy it's back to normal.

Last edited by ehlertepm; 04-11-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)