BMW Werkz banner

standalone information

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  94BMW325i 
#1 ·
anyone here using a standalone system, can you guys give me ideas on price and pros and cons to your system or if you have some substancial info on a specific system.

#7 ·
Starmavin said:
Mega squirt gives the very best bang for the buck, programmable for nearly any motor from 3 to 12 cyl. Even or odd fire.

ms is becoming more popular but unless you are very good with electronics piecing one together yourself will likely not yield great results

#8 ·
Learning basic fuel and timing mapping is a must for any standalone ECU being used. If you are not willing to learn at least that leave your car stock.

Even if you know nothing and are at least willing to learn, there are plenty of sites selling preassembled MS systems and willing to set it up or program them with what ever you want, plus sites explaining how-tos on anything. Look here: eBay Motors: MegaSquirt 3.0 Fuel Injection Computer Custom for You! (item 110130639700 end time May-26-07 19:07:23 PDT)

I got a MS III (the best so far with 10x the timing resolution) for 350 bucks. I'm installing in my (soon to be) turbo E30. You can also find MS-1 systems for less than 200 that control both fuel and timing for NA or boosted motors. You can't find any stand alone ECU at triple that price with anything close to the features and support of an MS. The software is open-source, so plenty of people are programing configurations and add ons, such as individual coil fire, coil packs, knock sensor input, nitrous control (min rpm, new timing map or fixed retard), water injection control, real time barometric correction (for guys like me who travel) and plenty more.

You can use the built in map sensor for NA or boosted engines up to 21psi or you can use a modern hot wire MAF. Plus you can modify and DL nearly any configuration and flash it to the MS ECU after it's in. It really can't be beat. :rule

#9 ·
Although the use of any standalone, more specifically replacing and/or the modification of factory related equipment in emissions controlled areas can be illegal and may make your car fail local testing. Forcing you to revert back to stock anyway, check your local laws.

This is very frustrating, in spite the fact a well tuned fuel and spark map on an aftermarket ECU can actually have your car run cleaner and more efficient than the stock ECU, it's still illegal. <_< As an example, cold air intakes and open element air filters can actually fail you for emissions and inspection testing if your car comes stock with a thermostatically controlled air intake (heat riser off the exhaust manifold). :(

#14 ·
I'd suggest more research, the Tec3r is nearly 3 times more expensive and has half the support and features.

First time MS start up, just installed and plugged in, (not mine, not tuned yet either): YouTube - Rob's BMW - Megasquirt Idling

MS built himself with all harnesses, sensors, etc comes in around $650 installed.

Tec3r can't use coil overs, and I have heard about horrible starting issues with them unless you can convert it to true sequential injection.

#16 ·
i have had nothing but great support with my tec3 built by sias tuning and am running full sequential ignition and injection... pnp took 10 mins to install...uses all the stock sensors except map and wb o2...

fyi robstah's ms was built by urine machine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.