BMW Werkz banner

stupid odometer

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Hamfisted 
#1 ·
everything has been great on my 1990 325iX. Its been running great. And now, out of the blue, the odometer stopped working. no trip odometer either. any thoughts? where do i start. any help is appreciated. thanks

#6 ·
Removing and Replacing

I've removed the odometer and ordered the new gears. The question is - how to remove and replace the gears without damaging the odometer. Do the gears just slide off and on? Is there an index on the shaft that the gear has to match? The smallest gear has what looks like a brass center. Does that gear just pull off? Any guidance will be great.

I really appreciate you experts helping us poor souls out. Paying BMW megabucks to replace the entire unit is just unacceptable. :=)

#7 ·
The brass pice needs to be pressed off (pain in the a$$) or if you are careful enough, use a dremel and buzz it off (works great, just don't slip) I don't know of you have the direct replacements, or the plastic push on ones (if you can get them any more)

I have rebuilt several so being that this is your first time, buy a spare and practice taking it apart and take your time, because the clear plastic doesn't take very well to force. If you want one let me know I have a few bad ones you can practice on.

#8 ·
Starmavin said:
The brass pice needs to be pressed off (pain in the a$$) or if you are careful enough, use a dremel and buzz it off (works great, just don't slip) I don't know of you have the direct replacements, or the plastic push on ones (if you can get them any more)

I have rebuilt several so being that this is your first time, buy a spare and practice taking it apart and take your time, because the clear plastic doesn't take very well to force. If you want one let me know I have a few bad ones you can practice on.
Thanks for the info. I purchased the gears from Odometer Gear Replacement

I read somewhere else that you can 'cut' off the small gear with the brass insert using a pair of side cutters. I'll approach it with caution. I may contact you for a practice piece. Thanks for the offer.

#9 ·
Redhaze737 said:
Thanks for the info. I purchased the gears from Odometer Gear Replacement

I read somewhere else that you can 'cut' off the small gear with the brass insert using a pair of side cutters. I'll approach it with caution. I may contact you for a practice piece. Thanks for the offer.
Success! I used a pair of side cutters to get the brass insert off. It's brittle so when you clamp down it just splits off. Put all the gears back together and it works fine.

I'm German so I should understand but it seems like that's a lot of gearing to turn one shaft. :confused: That seems more English to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.