BMW Werkz banner

Changing the colors of the dash lights?

9K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  PhatCat 
#1 ·
Does anyone sell those little plastic pieces that give our dashes that wonderful orange color in other colors, like blue or green? I'm going to be swapping out my dash, and while I'm at it I hope I can replace these little pieces...

Thanks

#3 ·
I meant the dash board center controls, they have those little clear orange plastic inserts, I was hoping maybe someone made them in blue or green, but it doesn't sound like it...

Does anyone make aftermarket guage faces, maybe white or electro-luminescent?

Thanks

#4 ·
Not many people realize this but BMW made the light the dark orange color for a reason. That reason is to make it easier on your eyes while driving at night. The human eye hardly reacts to the orange/red light at night so your eyes don't have to adjust from looking down the dark road to looking down at a white light gauge or vent controls then readjust back to the dark road.

But if you want to ricer up your dash with blue or green lights go for it but the BMW engineers didn't make the lights in their cars orange/red just cause they wanted it looked different than other cars.

#5 ·
daklunk said:
Does anyone make aftermarket guage faces, maybe white or electro-luminescent?

Thanks

Yes, you can find them on ebay the 5k tach ones are cheap, but be advised, they are a pain to install and the power supply usually last for about 2 months then cut out.

I have installed several of them, I advise that you spray your needles black becasue the faceplates are white. At night the amber on the white face plates with blue, red numbers and letters looks cool. If you don't have an ebay account, I keep one of the 5k tachs on hand.

#6 ·
BMWJNKY said:
Not many people realize this but BMW made the light the dark orange color for a reason. That reason is to make it easier on your eyes while driving at night. The human eye hardly reacts to the orange/red light at night so your eyes don't have to adjust from looking down the dark road to looking down at a white light gauge or vent controls then readjust back to the dark road.

But if you want to ricer up your dash with blue or green lights go for it but the BMW engineers didn't make the lights in their cars orange/red just cause they wanted it looked different than other cars.

*clapping* hands down the best explanation ever...couldn't have summed it up better :D

#7 ·
@ BMWJNKY, KRAUT: Thanks, I didn't realize the story behind it. Not that I don't appreciate the idea behind it, I just don't like the color much at all. I don't know why, it just bugs me. We'll see...

@ Starmavin: Thanks, I will take a look at them...
EDIT: I've been looking for a while, I can't find it... Do you have a link to the vendor or the page?

Thanks guys...

#11 ·
Personally, I really like the orange. And yes...it's WAY easier on the eyes on a dark raod, especially if you have been driving for quite some time.

#12 ·
#16 ·
Yes... yes I am. :D I dunno, maybe it'll grow on me after a while, but right now... eh.

Thanks mavin. You guys should check out my Project thread, *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge* I hope you guys can point me in the right direction with some of this stuff...

Thanks to all!

BTW, I have had a thought as far as how to change the lights. I build model cars, and I use RTV Silicone rubber to pour molds of parts to cast with resin. I have clear resin, which can be dyed, and I have an extra dash with all those little orange pieces... Hmmm...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.