BMW Werkz banner

Lowering the volume of select speakers

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  da_bull 
#1 ·
Hi

I have an E36 with an Ice install. Among the install is a set of Phoenix Gold Elite 5 1/4 Components (consist of mids, tweets and crossover). The problem however is that I damaged one of the Mids. As such I have now ripped the mids out and connected a set of B&W speakers to the original phoenix crossover which sound great and have an almost ideal bass response I was looking for.

However because of this mismatch the 5 1/4's cant take the volume the tweeters can which results in the tweeters being too quiet. Is there a way to lower the volume on the mids using something like a resistor or some other type of device. If so can anyone recommend something that will allow me to do this. Ideally this would be something that would sit inline in the mid speaker wire due to the way my system is wired and would either allow variable adjustment to find the ideal setup or alternatively have a number of cheap electrical components that I could try one after the other until I found the required one. Also if there is any way of allowing me to tighten the bass on the mids to allow slightly less bass and treble through to the mids would be ideal.

And I understand the easiest way would be to replace the mids with the defaults but looking at how easy one blew it does not inspire me with confidence to replace with like for like, especially at the cost of them! Also the replacements in my opinion have a much better potential if I could get the above modification implemented.

Thanks for any help from anyone

See less See more
#2 ·
Its very possible that the tweeter output on the crossover may have a volume setting for it that you can fine-tune it instead of the mids. Other than that, the only other thing you might be able to do is get 2 seperate amps, one for the tweeter and one for the mids. Then you can adjust according to what you need.

#3 ·
Hi

Unfortunatly the tweeter and mids are preset via the crossover. I can drop the tweeter volume 3db but that wont help. As for 2 amps I do have another amp to install but there would not be enough room and it would bypass the crossover.

If it helps, The setup is a Pioneer Avic Headunit which runs to a Phoenix Gold Ti Equaliser. From there it is split. One signal will run to a Phoenix Gold 1000.2Ti which will have a couple of Infinity VQ Perfects attatched. The other is a 675.4 Phoenix Ti amp which will have the crossover for the mids and tweets attatched. The other 2 outputs are to be used to power a set of Infinity 6x9s (693is). I have considered using the 2 outputs from the 6x9s to split the mids and tweets as suggested however when I tested the setup last week and tried disconnecting the rears it seemed to lack depth in the sound (and the headunit outs still couldnt quite get the power and control I was after). I would ideally like to keep the mids and tweets connected to the crossover rather than add an extra crossover. If anyone has any ideas as I would like to start installing this weekend ideally.

#4 ·
Yeah thats a great headunit, but the deck power on most headunits are lacking in control. Thats the only reason I suggested the extra amp. You can still use the passive crossover solely for the tweeter (if you like the sound) and use the new amp's crossover for the mids.

Orion used to make a 3/6/9 db cut for mids, but it only handled like 15-25 watts (or something like that).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.