BMW Werkz banner

Outside temp reading

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Limited 
#1 ·
Where is the sensor for outside temp reading and what dose it look like? mine reads -40deg most of the time but will change some times is this a dud sensor or faulty?

can anyone help

#2 ·
You likely have a failed, or missing temperature probe. On my E39, this is in front of the right front wheel in the 'pod' between the wheel and front bumper. It is accessable from underneath the car - and is a black probe mounted up at an angle through the pod. Has a 2-wire clip attached. There is additional flashing mounted that partly obscures the probe location (also protects it, I suspect), but it is there.

Since the climate control uses this probe as part of the control logic, you'll want to get this fixed to allow the AC to work properly. Suspect it is less of an issue in heating mode..

Good luck,
Mark
2003 525iT

#5 ·
Also, being that the sensor is under the car, there's even a chance that the thermometer is not even broken, rather just a case of corroded contacts.

The device itself is solid-state, and when mine started to go out I simply removed and re-inserted it several times to re-establish the contact.

Hasn't failed since, and cheap enough to try it out.

#6 ·
I have same problem but i couldn't find the sensor i checked between the wheel and front bumper in right side .
I have E39 540i 1997 is it all E39 models they have same location of ambiant temp sensor ?

#7 ·
Yup, it's the same on all E39s. Look again.

#8 · (Edited)
Ok thanks M3UOND i found it and i changed the sensor :)

Here where i found the sensor it was hidden under fog light.

The sensor look bad

The new sensor

THANK YOU JON128 FOR THIS post :)

#10 ·
Thanks Cosmosblack :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.