BMW Werkz banner

Given the performance potential of the new 335i...M3, or 335i?

• E90/92 335i

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • E90/92 M3

Votes: 11 64.7%

Brand spankin' V-8 m3

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  ewohar 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone has had an opportunity to post spyshots of the new M3 or not. Here is a little taste for those of us who are anticipating it's release.

BMW M3 | Spy Shots | News | evo

#2 ·
It looks cool, and it has more HP, But it's kinda sad. If what they say is true about 0-60 time 5 sec. Cause I'm pretty sure the e46 does 0-60 in 4.7. corrrect me if i'm wrong. (p.s. i guess there's always S/C:D)

#3 ·
It is a little dissapointing, not that I would ever complain if a set of keys happened to come my way though! I would have expected more from the new v-8. I heard a rumour the power numbers would be higher, closer to 450(to be closer to the new S4)...must have been a bad source, off with their head!

#5 ·
Why do you say that? Too much power for a non-M with the turbo'd 6? It looks like it would be a real kick-ass car(the 335i) with great performance numbers.

#6 ·
PhatCat said:
Why do you say that? Too much power for a non-M with the turbo'd 6? It looks like it would be a real kick-ass car(the 335i) with great performance numbers.

That's just the problem. The 335i is one chip re-flash away from equal horsepower to the M3. Let's see, buy the M, or buy a much cheaper 335i, spend $500 on a tuner software set, and spend another $3,000 stiffening up the suspension. If I feel really flashy, I'll also spend some money upgrading the differential. All of a sudden I have a car that can perform just as well as an M3 for much less than an M3.

#7 ·
M3UOND said:
All of a sudden I have a car that can perform just as well as an M3 for much less than an M3.
For as good as the 335i looks, and with the relatively minor modifications, you can get yourself one helluva' car. Especially if you can do most of that yourself. You guys think BMW shot the M3 in the foot with this one?
Good poll question.

Now, if they bolt a S/C on that V-8, it's a completely different story...

#12 ·
M3UOND said:
That's just the problem. The 335i is one chip re-flash away from equal horsepower to the M3. Let's see, buy the M, or buy a much cheaper 335i, spend $500 on a tuner software set, and spend another $3,000 stiffening up the suspension. If I feel really flashy, I'll also spend some money upgrading the differential. All of a sudden I have a car that can perform just as well as an M3 for much less than an M3.

That's true, but, I'm sure within 6-9 months of the new M3 coming out, some performance shop (ie: Dinan,AA) will come out with S/C and other bolt-ons.
But I agree with M3uond on that the 335i is really only a hair away from M3 potential.

#16 ·
I'm sorry, but a strung out V8 is not going to have the cheap power that an UNDERSTRESSED LOW BOOST twin turbo I6 has. I'll bet you $20 that somebody comes up with a software upgrade that will net over 350bhp... Come on, that's just software alone.

#17 ·
The spy shots are never really indicative of how sweet the car will look or not. Heck the new 6 had some spy shots that made it look like a Pontiac.....

VERY dissapointed with the lack of extra speed with the new M3......everyone else was already catching up rapidly...and then M lays an egg....not good timing. Yea, you could buy tuner stuff but that's more money, and less authentic speed....You can make a Honda Civic faster than snot with the right mods, so doing it to an M3 is cool, but just takes a little away IMHO. Oh well...hopefully things look up as release gets closer.

#19 ·
I'm not impressed. I've always been a fan of BMW's Inline 6 engines and it's the first thing I think of when I hear "M3." The addition of a heavy, gas-guzzling V8 doesn't tickle my fancy. I understand that many of you are saying "Now if someone would make a S/C kit..," but that would be at least another 5g on top of the $50k+ price tag, no?

#20 ·
BocaBimmer said:
I'm not impressed. I've always been a fan of BMW's Inline 6 engines and it's the first thing I think of when I hear "M3." The addition of a heavy, gas-guzzling V8 doesn't tickle my fancy. I understand that many of you are saying "Now if someone would make a S/C kit..," but that would be at least another 5g on top of the $50k+ price tag, no?
i highly doubt weight will be a factor, bmw will probably be doing this as an all aluminum V8 which would weigh the same or less than most of the BMW I6's

#22 ·
BocaBimmer said:
gas-guzzling V8 doesn't tickle my fancy.
I'm sure if you ask nicely, Ivan will tickle you fancy...

I'm stoked about the V-8, 'bout time as far as I'm concerned. It still seems like a super nice rig and I'm sure it'll out handle almost anything out there, and who knows, maybe the 0-60 time is just to stir the pot a bit...maybe it's faster. btw, I really doubt that V-8 is all that heavy or much of a gas guzzler.

#23 ·
To me the M's are all about taking the current 3,5,6 or Roadster and making it the best/fastest it can be. The M3 should always be the 330 maxed out. The M5 should always be the 5 maxed out. etc. Plopping a V8 in a 3 series just seems like cheating to me.

#24 ·
m3vs 335

Im going to go check out a 335i because my friend wants it and he gets what he wants(car he is replacings is an aston marton so yeah) so im bringing him to the delership to test it(he saw me drive my e30 and whip it around a couner) so yeah im hoping he doesnt get by the m6 they have.....hmmmmm or maybe i do lol all well
my verdict about time the is a v8 3 series they just did what they saw ppl doing to the e30's and e36's and used it on the m-3
335i nice but i drive an BMW M3 just sounds better

#25 ·
Color Fade M-Tech E30 said:
Im going to go check out a 335i because my friend wants it and he gets what he wants(car he is replacings is an aston marton so yeah) so im bringing him to the delership to test it(he saw me drive my e30 and whip it around a couner) so yeah im hoping he doesnt get by the m6 they have.....hmmmmm or maybe i do lol all well
my verdict about time the is a v8 3 series they just did what they saw ppl doing to the e30's and e36's and used it on the m-3
335i nice but i drive an BMW M3 just sounds better
Why on earth would you go from an Aston Martin to a 335?

Why on earth would you go from an Aston to a BMW at all????

I'm a total Bimmerhead, but I tooled around in a DB7 for a couple of weeks, and there simply is no better combination of power, maneuverability, ergonomics, and the looks you get than an Aston.

#26 ·
New M3 performance numbers

I'd be willing to bet that the advertised 0-60 figures for the new M3 are conservative, betting it will do 4.5 or so, not the quoted 5.3.

We can only hope. Anyways, 0-60 isn't the only numbers that matter, when powering out of a corner, how about 40-95?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.