BMW Werkz banner

Final 18 hours with my 540...

3K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  Eric S. 
#1 ·
Well, M3UOND picks up my car and will drive it off in about 18 hours. I have all the spares packed, the leather cleaned and treated, the exterior Zaionoed, all fluids topped off, and the ash tray cleaned out (j/k!)

Am I sad? Darned right I am. I am going to miss her. This mighty 1999 540 6-speed is undoubtedly the finest automobile I've ever owned or may ever own again, and I've put a LOT of my time, talents, and money into her over the past 23 months that I had her.

That said, I am anxious to see what M3UOND has in store for her in the coming months. Thanks for all the moral support, guys! :cheers

#4 ·
Torque said:
at least u know where it went. har
just give Nath a fake bill of sale/title. Let him buy the car, call the cops and tell em it was stolen and it just happens that you know exactly where it went :D

#5 ·
superdeadman said:
just give Nath a fake bill of sale/title. Let him buy the car, call the cops and tell em it was stolen and it just happens that you know exactly where it went :D
Ha Ha! I probably won't do that, but I sure hope he drives it LIKE he stole it (AFTER we sign zee papers)! :p

Only 8 hours to go. I'm driving the 540 to work for the last time, and then leaving early to go get M3UOND at the airport this afternoon. I'm torn between taking her up to 130 or beyond (just once!), or just taking it easy, trying to avoid any rock chips or other mishaps......

#6 ·
Arriving in Richmond 4:31 pm. I almost feel bad :) I would imagine it will be a very entertaining trip to see my cousins, and then home. Right after I remember how to work a stickshift properly.

#7 ·
Aaaarrrgh! Why do the beautiful ones require so much attention?!? So Monday I drive my 540 200+ miles and everything was flawless. Then, today, on my 15.5 mile trip to work, I noticed a distinct, speed-dependent vibration in the rear. Since everything was fine on Monday I am guessing it most likely threw a stick-on wheel weight. Grrrrrrrr! It definitely inhibited me from that last 155mph run, in case the lug nuts were loose.

OK, let's do everything HER way! ;)

I checked lug nut torque when I got to work, and that was OK. So M3UOND, all I can say is that it was fine 3 days ago, and if you'd like we can try to find a place that will check the balance of the rear tires after I pick you up and I'll pay for the re-balance.

OK, other than THAT, it is perfect & ready to go!

#8 ·
Eric S. said:
I checked lug nut torque when I got to work, and that was OK. So M3UOND, all I can say is that it was fine 3 days ago, and if you'd like we can try to find a place that will check the balance of the rear tires after I pick you up and I'll pay for the re-balance.
Let's do that, so we can make sure that is in fact the problem. Any chance you could call around to a few places to make a reservation? Oftentimes you've got to...

#9 · (Edited)
M3UOND said:
Let's do that, so we can make sure that is in fact the problem. Any chance you could call around to a few places to make a reservation? Oftentimes you've got to...
I'll check around; the problem is that the airport's on the other side of town and I don't know of any places over there. If your flight's on-time we may be able to work it out at a place near me. Are you going to have any checked baggage? I could simply wait out front for you (it isn't like you won't recognize the car). I'll call and see if we can squeeze in somewhere at 5:00-ish.

EDIT - I called the Midas where the tires were installed and they're open till 6:00 today. The manager said he'd work us in if we can get there by 5:15-5:30 (which we can definitely do if your flight's on time AND traffic is not too bad. The way I plan to go is generally light on traffic, so I am optimistic.

#11 · (Edited)
LOS said:
I think she wants to stay with you Eric.... It's her way of saying, I'm not going!

Seriously, you can't seem to get a break....

LOS
Thanks for the kind words, but I don't think it'll be a big deal. The vibration is not that noticeable; I'm just picky and I just drove it Monday without any problem so it's irritating more than anything else. I'm pretty sure it's just a thrown balance weight. Looks like we have a plan. I'm working out the details with M3UOND via e-mail...

#12 ·
Midas sounds good to me. I'd imagine they'll even do it for free given that they installed them. As of now, my MacBook's airplane widget tells me that the flight is on time (Airtran 244).

I will have a bag checked owing to the fact that I cannot carry on any liquids or gels. Just one, though. Wearing a brown argyle sweater today with blue and white diamonds, khakis, black shoes.

#13 ·
M3UOND said:
Midas sounds good to me. I'd imagine they'll even do it for free given that they installed them. As of now, my MacBook's airplane widget tells me that the flight is on time (Airtran 244).

I will have a bag checked owing to the fact that I cannot carry on any liquids or gels. Just one, though. Wearing a brown argyle sweater today with blue and white diamonds, khakis, black shoes.
Ahhh, we can now relax, thanks to Midas. I contacted the other Midas store, close to where I work, they took me in a few minutes ago, and confirmed that the balance was off on the right-rear, and re-balanced both rear tires (left rear was off, but only by a little). It felt good on the highway on my way back to work.

So it looks like we're "good to go" and back on the original plan: a relaxed 4:31 pick-up, followed by a fun drive, and no side trips to Midas....:cool:

#15 ·
LOS said:
Damn, I thought I was picky with my cars but you beat me... Very few people would be able to noticed such a problem, specially the rear wheel!!
That's it, I'll give you 17k for your car... M3U... You're too late... ha hah

LOS
HA HA! Los, you have less than 3 hours to get here! :D

It really DOES look good. Even the tech at Midas who checked it out commented on its condition.

I had all of the polished wood on the console looking awesome thanks to application of Novus plastic polish, but then I noticed in today's sunlight where overspray from last night's Lexol spray application on the adjacent seat besmirched my fine finish!! Oh, the HUMANITY!! :eek:

Of course, I'll grab a couple of wet paper towels on my way out of here today and wipe off the Lexol droplets before I let M3U lay an eyeball on it. B)

#17 ·
I am literally walking out the door to get on MARTA this minute. See you soon, Eric.

#18 ·
M3UOND said:
I am literally walking out the door to get on MARTA this minute. See you soon, Eric.
AirTran says your flight's leaving on time @ 3:00, dude! You're cutting it close - You better get going!!! :p

#19 ·
LOS said:
Dang, I'll be flying out of LAX... No time.... In any case, if M3U decides to pass on the car because of the overspray, sent me an email. I'll buy it from you!

LOS
LOS, here's your chance! M3U just called me to say he MISSED HIS FLIGHT!! :confused: Can you believe that?!?

Fortunately it doesn't present a real big impact on anything - he will be getting here at 6:22 in lieu of 4:30. So that gives you nearly two extra hours to get out here before he does!! :p

#22 ·
LOS said:
Damn, talk about suspense..... He'll still beat me to it!
I didn't want to say anything but I gave the pilot a couple of bucks to leave earlier....

LOS
Ha-ha! M3U claims they switched the gates on him without putting the new gate # on the teleprompters. So maybe you paid off the flashlight guy to guide the jet to a different parking space? :lol:

OF COURSE, the later flight HAD to be delayed, so now they're saying it'll arrive at 6:28 (instead of 6:08). Of course, I'm not counting on that time until the place actually takes off, which is 'estimated' for 5:00...

#23 ·
Well, someone took my money ($2). He said he was the pilot... Go figure!
I'll be taking my private jet then... where do you live again? ha ha

This is too much man, the agony of suspense! Thanks for keeping us posted. This can be turn into a movie. My producers will be getting in touch with you soon... ha ha. Welcome to Hollywood Eric!

LOS

#24 ·
UPDATE: OK, AirTran's web site said his flight actually left at 5:02, and is expected to arrive here in Richmond @ 6:30. I guess I need to start planning on getting to the airport...Too bad, LOS!

This could be my last post before...before...before...oh, I just can't bring myself to SAY IT!! :cry

#26 · (Edited)
'Tis Finished, and M3UOND is a Worthy Owner!

It was a comedy of errors - a missed flight, then a late flight arrival, traffic signs mis-directing us, etc. etc., but M3UOND & I finally met up. He got to drive the car some, we had dinner @ TGIFridays & signed the papers, and then he dropped me off at my house before hitting Interstate 95.

M3OUND is a fascinating, humble person and a true Bimmerphile. I definitely enjoyed getting to know him and hopefully he felt the same. Fortunately, the car looked and behaved well for him, and I only hope it continues to do so for a long time to come.

It was MUCH more difficult to say goodbye to the 540 than I thought it would be. But it was made easier knowing that it will stay in the Bimmerwerkz "family". I guess I'll need a new Avatar...

Now, I need to get crackin' and check out that 6-speed '03 Maxima I found. I didn't want to jinx anything by mentioning it before, but I've switched my avatar to what I hope will be my next car (Maxima 6-speed with LSD). Will know for sure Saturday...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.