BMW Werkz banner

Audi A4 3.0 goes down

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  SpeedsterBMW 
#1 ·
Damn, those things are way slower than I thought. I was driving on the 405 around 12:30AM last night and I was followed as I weaved through traffic by an A4. Finally, just after the 101 interchange, traffic opened up and I allowed the A4 to pull alongside me for a little fun. We started around 75mph, with me in 4th, and he gave the signal and gunned it. I downshifted to 3rd, which launched my car after him, and once I shifted into 4th again at 85mph, I was even with him and pulling hard, my turbo gauge spiked to 19PSI for roughly 4 seconds, long enough for me to pull ahead of him and at around 110mph, I shifted to 5th. By then I was a good 3 carlenghts on him. I kept going until 120mph, where I lifted off and let him catch up, then paced him to give him a thumbs up, just before reaching my exit from the freeway. A good time was had by all, and I must say that the mule really loves high speeds.

#4 ·
Originally posted by MrM3+Apr 30 2003, 06:00 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrM3 @ Apr 30 2003, 06:00 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--donutchow@Apr 30 2003, 04:20 AM
don't bash my future car. it's beautiful and comfortable as hell B)

it does 0 to 60 in 6.9, that's with the standard AWD. so that's not bad.
what!!? your choosing the audi over the 330? shame on you <_<

haha j/k :p [/b][/quote]
well the audi is 6 grand cheaper. i'm doing my paper now, and the A4 is better overall i think

#5 ·
yea its a nice family car.

#6 ·
the freeways were nice last night werent they trigg...i went flying up the 405 to the 605 then to the 10 to get home from irvine and i was averaging 120 all the way back no po po although a porsche tried to run with me but he didnt have the guts to maintain 120+ on the 605 :lol:

#8 ·
Originally posted by SpeedsterBMW@Apr 30 2003, 08:43 AM
donutchow, you must drive one of our 330s before you buy your car, because the a4 is NOT a better car....
drive the new one. it's really nice. i just couldn't understand why the clutch and brake were so close together. that got on my nerves. plus, the black leather w/ black dash looked really dark inside. i wouldn't buy it like that, i like lighter leather.

#9 ·
i think audi 3.0 looks better than 330. No offense but there are way too many e46s in my area.

G
#10 ·
donut, i have driven the new A4s, and maybe im so used to driven the m, but the a4 didnt handle that great. too much body lean, and it felt REALLY Fat & Porky (partly cause of AWD), like trigg said, his saab RAPED a a4....hed have a much harder time raping a 330i manual.....btw a loaded a4 is approx 3-4g's more, and that extra 3-4gs your getting a faster/better handling/much sportier car...a4's are family cars/guys in thier 40s cars

#12 ·
hehe looks like my sisters getting the 325. i still want to see ur report though

#14 ·
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@Apr 30 2003, 03:17 AM
, I was even with him and pulling hard, my turbo gauge spiked to 19PSI for roughly 4 seconds, long enough for me to pull ahead of him and at around 110mph
When I read 19PSI, I though WTF? Then I saw it was trigg and thought, "Oh he knows what he's doing".

Donut I was looking at at purchasing a 323 or A41.8t about 2 years ago (old body style A4). I didn't get too far into shopping when I got a company car so I never made the purchase. But I was leaning toward the A4, mainly because it is a hellofa lot cheaper and there are some fairly affordable mods to bump it up around 200hp. I thought the interior was better quality. But the Bimemr was probably a better drivers car, but the A4 wasn't disappointing. A frined has a'98 A4 with some BBS wheels and lowered springs, custom exhaust, chipped, CAI and custom grill. I really like that car. I need to get some pics of it next time he brings it to town.

#15 ·
Originally posted by SoonerE39+Apr 30 2003, 10:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SoonerE39 @ Apr 30 2003, 10:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--triggrhaapi@Apr 30 2003, 03:17 AM
, I was even with him and pulling hard, my turbo gauge spiked to 19PSI for roughly 4 seconds, long enough for me to pull ahead of him and at around 110mph
When I read 19PSI, I though WTF? Then I saw it was trigg and thought, "Oh he knows what he's doing".

Donut I was looking at at purchasing a 323 or A41.8t about 2 years ago (old body style A4). I didn't get too far into shopping when I got a company car so I never made the purchase. But I was leaning toward the A4, mainly because it is a hellofa lot cheaper and there are some fairly affordable mods to bump it up around 200hp. I thought the interior was better quality. But the Bimemr was probably a better drivers car, but the A4 wasn't disappointing. A frined has a'98 A4 with some BBS wheels and lowered springs, custom exhaust, chipped, CAI and custom grill. I really like that car. I need to get some pics of it next time he brings it to town. [/b][/quote]
sounds good.

others- don't diss the car before you drive it. i've loved bmw's forever, just other people make good cars too

#17 ·
I drove an A4 1.8t once, it wasn't too impressive to me, but as all turbo cars do, it had tons of potential. It drove very comfortably, although compared to many of the more performance oriented cars I've driven, the feedback from the wheel and pedals was pretty numb. It did have a good box, not too loose not too tight, with reasonably lengthed throws. It's a different kind of car than a BMW. BMW makes cars that are all about driver involvement, that give you the feeling of absolute one-ness with the car and a sensation of speed even when you're not going that fast. Audis are cars that are about safe performance, they use front biased AWD to allow you to go fast without getting in over your head, they have insane grip, but loose handling and they have a strong understeer tendancy.

#19 ·
AWD isn't bad, it's front biased AWD that's bad. Audi's AWD is based off of a FWD transaxle, so it is front biased. Subaru's AWD is based off of a center differential so it has a more rear biased torque split. Porsche and Lamborghini have AWD systems based on a rear differential, so they favor the rear wheels almost exclusively (varying between 95% and 60% rear bias)

#20 ·
Originally posted by triggrhaapi@May 2 2003, 02:07 PM
AWD isn't bad, it's front biased AWD that's bad. Audi's AWD is based off of a FWD transaxle, so it is front biased. Subaru's AWD is based off of a center differential so it has a more rear biased torque split. Porsche and Lamborghini have AWD systems based on a rear differential, so they favor the rear wheels almost exclusively (varying between 95% and 60% rear bias)
Useful and interesting tidbit

#21 ·
yeah trigg always has useful info

#22 ·
Originally posted by donutchow@Apr 30 2003, 03:20 AM
don't bash my future car. it's beautiful and comfortable as hell B)

it does 0 to 60 in 6.9, that's with the standard AWD. so that's not bad.
are you getting the 3.slow or the 1.8T? i hear that the 1.8T modded is faster......is this still true? Possibly not bc the 3.0 has 220HP but i would rather have a modded 1.8 bc of the gas mileage and sleeper status :ph34r: but modding can void warrenty :(

also if you can afford a new 3.0 perhaps you might want to look at used S4's ;)

#23 ·
I own the A4 1.8t Quattro and I like it alot. The interior is actually nicer than a e46 and its a better overall value in terms of bang for the buck.

The a4 3.0 is nice too but if you want to mod , dont get it. on the 3.0, you can only chip(15hp increase), supercharge, intake, and exhaust it.

The A4 1.8t has tons of mods. Chip ($400) = 46 hp and ~65lb torque increase, intakes, exhausts, turbo upgrades, etc.
With a chip and exhaust, youll be faster than a 3.0

Lawrence

#25 ·
yea which sucks. When it comes to modding, AUDI pwnz the BMW. Its like 10 times cheaper....and 10 times more effective.

Still.... i post on bmw forums and love them more than audi. My next car will be either the m3 or m5.
I like my a4 tho... ill keep this bugger as my daily

Lawrence aka menage

G
#26 ·
Originally posted by RetroSpek@May 17 2003, 06:03 PM
yea which sucks. When it comes to modding, AUDI pwnz the BMW. Its like 10 times cheaper....and 10 times more effective.

Still.... i post on bmw forums and love them more than audi. My next car will be either the m3 or m5.
I like my a4 tho... ill keep this bugger as my daily

Lawrence aka menage
ive dropped my S4 from pretty high rpms, but even with 330hp the thing spun for about 2 seconds before it shot me forward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.