BMW Werkz banner

225/45/17 problems?

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  drz 
#1 ·
I went from 205/xx/15's to 225/45/17's a couple of weeks ago. Since then, my steerng has felt kind of screwy (gets tight -- very tight -- at times, and pulls hard to the left when I apply the brakes at slow speeds). I checked today, and it seems that my spring plate from the strut assembly may be making contact with the rubber at times. I am not sure if that is whre I should be looking.

Anybody experienced any problems with this size? I know many members are running 225's at the froont..... right? :dunno :(

#2 ·
You should have no problem... at all.. the only thing I can think of... is that those wheels you have on there are not the correct size for a e36.. what is the off-set?

For the steering... when is the last time you serviced your p/s resevoir...

Les

#4 ·
Our offset is usually about 40mm from what I remember, but since you can fit such a wheel with a 235 on an e36 I don't see where that would cause a problem.

#5 ·
drz said:
checked today, and it seems that my spring plate from the strut assembly may be making contact with the rubber at times.
How is that possible? The distance is constant at all times since the strut housing moves with the wheel; it either contacts or doesn't . . unless your wheel is out of round, then the high spots would rub.

I agree it could be the wheel offset that may be a problem. Also consider that going up in size/width amplifies to road surface, but that wouldn't explain pulling to one side constantly.

#6 ·
Too much offset...

I agree, too much offset. My fronts are 38mm offset with 225/45-17 tires and there's only about 3/8" clearance between the tire and strut spring seat. You can use 235's on the back but doubtful on the front without rubbing. You have to have "some" clearance there for safety and incidentals. Are your front and rear rims the same offset?

Mike

#7 ·
Same offset fronts and rears. However, OEM E46 Style 44 wheels (the boring ones that look like fan blades) are also 17x8, 47mm, and people run them on E36s all the time. I will have to get under the car and see what's up. My right side brake rotor is warped -- would that explain the pulling to one side? Also, the sway bar link also on the right side has perished; the rubber died, so I took the whole thing out. In summary, I have a lot going on on that wheel that may be affecting this. Am I right?

The steering doesn't pull to one side constantly; only somtimes, and always to the left.

#10 ·
Going from 205/60 to 225/45 will feel quite different. Steering effort increases. It will also tend to climb out of ruts in the road, and feel like it's pulling while that is happening. That will be increased during braking. I think you are just experiencing the lower profile tire. Verify your tire pressures. Some E36 came stock with 235/40 all around with the sport suspension package.

#12 ·
+47 mm offset? Crazy. I wouldn't recommend past 45 mm offset. Wellt hat's doen adn done. Are you sure it's rubbign that's causign the problem and not the typical problem with a new wheel tire setup such as tramlining? Also known as bump steer.

For example if you're druivign in a straight line and theres a ridge in the road going parallel to you and you go over it, does it pull hard to one side without you touching the steering wheel?

#13 ·
My stock 15's, and the Z4 16's I have on now, are 47mm offset. My wheel width is 7". I would think with an 8" wide wheel, 42 or 40 may be more appropriate.

#14 ·
Gkamysz said:
Going from 205/60 to 225/45 will feel quite different. Steering effort increases. It will also tend to climb out of ruts in the road, and feel like it's pulling while that is happening. That will be increased during braking. I think you are just experiencing the lower profile tire. Verify your tire pressures. Some E36 came stock with 235/40 all around with the sport suspension package.
This post seems pretty reasonable to me. I drove 700 miles in the past 20 hours, and from the feel of the drive, I had come to a hypothesis that is pretty much explained by Gk. By the way, the offset on my wheels is 38mm. I just got the E-Mail from the place where I bought them (those same wheels in 18" and 19" have a 47mm offset, hence my previous posting).

I am pretty much comfortable with it all now, although I will have to take care of the sway bar links this weekend (I am guessing that should be common enough that the dealer stocks them :dunno).

Thanks for teh replies everyone. I am sorry I made all this fuss merely as the result of moving to lower profile tires.

#15 ·
Dudesky_E36 said:
How is that possible? The distance is constant at all times since the strut housing moves with the wheel; it either contacts or doesn't . . unless your wheel is out of round, then the high spots would rub.
Not entirely true. As your front suspension extends the wheel draws closer to the strut - usually this is only by a few mm. Typically this is not an issue because with stock wheels there is more than enough distance between the wheel and strut to begin with.

#17 ·
ALright. Her's an update:

The trouble was being caused by a sagging wheel well cover. I cannot really explain where it was getting caught, etc., but as I was driving on the highway this morning, my steering starting feeling really weird at one point, then I heard something come off and saw a trace of smoke left on the road through my rearview mirror. I stopped and then realized that the probolem was coming from that. Trust me; this seems like a weird thing, but it was getting caught in there in some weird way, believe me. I removed the wheel well cover and haven't had trouble since (driven a tad over 500 miles since).

Once again: thanks everyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.