BMW Werkz banner

Cat Back Exhaust Question

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Active Autowerke II 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 1999 e36 cabrio and I want a little more throaty of a sound. I don't want a loud "ricer" sound but a throatier version of a the original BMW exhaust note. What do you recommend as a mature guys exhaust. I'm not 18 anymore and my wife often drives this car so just a nice sounding non ricer exhaust is what I'm looking for. I also don't want those "Pimp My Ride" style 10" diameter exhaust tips. What do you guys recommend..??

-Acoustic

#7 ·
UUC exhausts are pretty loud and can get a bit on the annoying side, for me at least. I have a AC Schnitzer exhaust which is basically the saem as a Remus. It's a great tone. Quiet for most of the time. Has a good ntoe though that you can always tell is aftermarket adn even when at WOT it isnt obnoxiously loud. The awesome deep and refined tone is the only thing stopping me from doign a full custom exhaust.

#9 ·
The Scorpion exhausts that I've heard are quite subdued, and usually pretty reasonable.

#11 ·
if you own a 323, to get the exhausts that the other inline 6 3 series models can use would be to buy some used M3 cats, and other exhaust piping? I know that sentence doesn't flow at all lol, but I am sure that other members know what I am referring to.

#15 ·
94BMW325i said:
if you own a 323, to get the exhausts that the other inline 6 3 series models can use would be to buy some used M3 cats, and other exhaust piping? I know that sentence doesn't flow at all lol, but I am sure that other members know what I am referring to.
Change the "mid-pipe" with the cats and resonators to 328/M3 mid-pipe. than you can use any cat-back designed for the 325/328/M3.

#18 ·
Check out magnaflow. Its cheap and very nice sounding. Just dont go to small with the muffler and it wont be rice.

#20 ·
Does anyoen knwo what brands of exhausts are even availible for the 323? It has a single pipe going down the chasis.

Your optiosn are:
find a 323 based exhaust
or
custom fabricate twin pipes downt he chasis, although then you'll need another cat convertor and this would be more expensive.

#21 ·
///M Power said:
Does anyoen knwo what brands of exhausts are even availible for the 323? It has a single pipe going down the chasis.

Your optiosn are:
find a 323 based exhaust
or
custom fabricate twin pipes down the chasis, although then you'll need another cat convertor and this would be more expensive.
A 328/M3 mid-pipe will bolt up to the exhaust manifold. Then you can order any 325/328/M3 rear section to fit. Or you can go custom single-pipe with high-flow cat and muffler set-up. You could use a 325 mid-pipe, but then you would need a post-cat bung welded in.

#22 ·
tomctx said:
A 328/M3 mid-pipe will bolt up to the exhaust manifold. Then you can order any 325/328/M3 rear section to fit. Or you can go custom single-pipe with high-flow cat and muffler set-up. You could use a 325 mid-pipe, but then you would need a post-cat bung welded in.
yeah its annoying when you have to state something again because people won't read lol

I think that a system U wouldn't be a good exhaust if your wife wants to drive your car.

#24 ·
///M Power said:
Sorry about that Tom, don't know why I read ever other post except yours. Guess im just scroll happy.

No biggie. Over in Bimmerforums, they have whole threads on this about 323 exhausts and people still post about it. Just want to make sure all 323 owners know about it. The 323 owners over there seem to be split about even on custom exhaust and retrofit. We've all missed posts, especially late at night.:)

#25 ·
Try pulling (and plugging...) the vacuum line off the rear of the stock muffler butterfly valve, it'll open up the short path through the muffler and give you a little throatier sound, and a little less back pressure, free. Look up at rear of your muffler, you'll see the butterfly control valve with the vacuum hose attached. Its a free upgrade.

Mike

#26 ·
Hamfisted said:
Try pulling (and plugging...) the vacuum line off the rear of the stock muffler butterfly valve, it'll open up the short path through the muffler and give you a little throatier sound, and a little less back pressure, free. Look up at rear of your muffler, you'll see the butterfly control valve with the vacuum hose attached. Its a free upgrade.

Mike
http://home.comcast.net/~matthew.c.smith/mods/ex_vac/index.htm

there you go buddy... theres a lil something about it... dono if it would help any but yea kinda shows what it looks like...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.