BMW Werkz banner

How To Replace The A/c Blower Motor?

14K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  loeryder 
#1 ·
I need to replace the A/C blower motor on my 1997 328i. Has anyone done it before, if so can you tell me what do I need to do? Or can anyone point me to a DIY guide or PDF Manual? Thx. :confused

#3 ·
Has anyone replaced a blower motor recently that can give some tips.

The bearings were wasted in mine so I took it out.

And now the replacement is rubbing on the drivers side.

Also is the E30 and E36 that same blower motor part #?
The use done I got looks identical but the fan cages are 1/4" smaller in diameter.

And just an FYI the blower motor is a PITA to get out.

#4 ·
E30 different from E36 blower motor...

The E30 blowers are a bit different from the E36 blower assembly, easier to see if you sat them side by side. But a slight difference will really affect the efficiency of your A/C system with reduced airflow.
If you need one for your '97 328i make sure you order one specific for your car.

Here's what your's should look like.... factory Behr part.

Here's one for an E30....

Or this early E30 style.... smaller diameter fans.....

Mike

#5 ·
Okay I have broken 2 sets of plastic cages trying to get it back together now.

A couple folks have told me to remove the clips that hold the cages on.
Both motors I have do not have clips on the cages and they seem to be pressed on.

These platic cages must be made of some cheap ass brittle plastic and are nearly impossible to cram between the wiring bulkhaed and the cowl.

Has anyone done this R&R recently that can post some tips for getting it back together in one piece?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.