BMW Werkz banner

Will i need a camber (alignment) kit when i lower my E36 325is

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  thekid 
#1 ·
I am going to lower my car using the eibach pro kit lowering springs. Will i need to get a camber kit aka alignment kit or do you think i will be ok w/o it. Just trying to figure this out before i order everything. Thanks

#3 ·
camber kit

Thanks for the input i think your right, my car has the sport package so it already sits lower than a regular 325is and the eibach pro kit shouldn't lower it much more. Any one else know if i would need a camber kit/plates?

#4 ·
Bleier325 said:
Thanks for the input i think your right, my car has the sport package so it already sits lower than a regular 325is and the eibach pro kit shouldn't lower it much more. Any one else know if i would need a camber kit/plates?
anyone know for sure? i'm considering lowering mine with the bavauto lowering springs and curious as to whether or not i need a camber kit.

#5 ·
i thought u could just et a wheel alignemnt, i am going to the wheel shop next week to see if they can wheel align my back wheels as my new tires wore out in 10000kays becasue its be lowered. If the stardard setup doesnt allow that much adjustment i will need soem sort of camber kit. i got hte car lowered dont know how much its been dropped but the back tires sit under the guards, its a 325i coupe 94 model with just springs as far as i can tell

#6 ·
i put the bilstein pss kit on my car. 92 325i...Im pretty positive you should be able to bring it right to your local mechanic and get it aligned....in my case i had to buy the bavauto camber kit for the front because the new struts allowed only a very small adjusment of camber...but did not have to purchase for the rear...so as long as your not replacing your struts and just doing springs i dont beleive that you would need the camber kit....but i would ask some of the more experienced enthusiasts on the forum because i am only 18 with some knowledge but still learning new things about my car from the forum everyday...good luck with your car!!!

tmc_2 I believe that the stock suspension on a 325(my car) not sure about other models) already has a certain amount of negative camber on the rear and when you lower the car it just makes more negative camber...thats why your tires are wearing so quickly

Correct me please if any of this information is wrong

#9 ·
SpeedInfusion said:
any and every adjustment to ur suspension requires an alignment...
yes sir!!! i want to lower mine another inch but can't afford an alignement right now:( due to the chip i bought from BMWg84(member of this forum)the echeck sent through paypal cleared wednesday and i havent recieved a pm from the kid since tuesday..<_<

#10 ·
Hello

6 months ago I lowered my 1994 325i SE after finding the previous owner had cut the front springs in a cowboy effort to create that low profile look. Not wantig to go back o the monster truck look, I purchased a set of pi lowering springs, 30mm front 25mm rear. With the motor having 17" rims this made the car look very low.
2 weeks ago a developed a puncture and took the car to be repaired and was informed that due the car being lowered the wheel alignment and camber was in need of adjusting and had unevenly worn all 4 tyres resulting in a £630 new tyre bill (DOH!). Because the arches sit so low on the wheels the usual alignment kit could not be used as it could not fit on the wheel so I had to shell out £130 to have the alignment and camber sorted on some state of the art, fancy 'flat bed' device.
Thought I would let you know what had happened as I was not to pleased about the unexpected £760 I had to pay out.

#11 ·
Seems like you were overcharged. Your 630 pounds for new tires seems outrageous unless you bought soem nice sticky summer tires. Pilot sports 2's or bridgestoen SO's perhaps?

The fancy flatbed design is meant for cars that are really low. The cars are aligned by lasers but even the 130 pound price tag also seems outrageous. I dont know the goign rate for mechanical work in England but it might just be a case inwhich you were overcharged.

Also, you might have lwoered your car too much on stock struts/shocks. These components are finaely tuned for stock springs. You might have purchased dead springs like H&R race which really drop the car but should have upgraded strut/shocks.

Can you enlighted us mroe on your suspension upgrades?

#12 ·
i've lowered my car 15mm at the front and 30mm on the back

all you need to do is get the tracking done so your tyres don't wear unevenly.

some places do have problems with this but if you shop about you will find somewhere its possible. it should not cost anywhere near £130

I've got 19" wheels too so i'm actually unable to fit my fingers between the wheel and the arch and i managed to find a place that did it for £35 (i thought that was a rip off too).

don't know about camber kits though. i thought they just put a tilt on you wheelsfor better cornering and looks but will give you inside tyre wear like a bitch.

#18 ·
kyle_baker said:
anyone know for sure? i'm considering lowering mine with the bavauto lowering springs and curious as to whether or not i need a camber kit.
Do not buy the bavauto springs. I was quite happy with the springs on my car until the front right started to rub... they have rubbed since about 6 months after installing them on my car. I could get them replaced still under warrantey (2 year warranty) but if I did that I would just resell them to another BMW owner, which at this point i can not bring myself to do. I am preparing to spend around $400 to buy height adjustable coil overs from bimmerworld to set my car back to around stock height but with the more aggresive spring rate. The bavauto springs gives your car decent handling and ride quality, but seem to sag over time. I can not vouch for bimmerworld's parts, but they are what I am planning on using towards the end of the summer when I go home and am able to change springs without costing an arm and a leg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.