BMW Werkz banner

b&M short shifter

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  stracer 
#1 ·
I have one in my 99 323is. I notice sometimes it seems a little hard to get into gear. No grinding just little harder than normal. I know putting a ss in will make it more percise and little play in the stick. Anyone else have this issue.

#4 ·
Furious said:
the ss will make the feel notchier. a bit harder? well kind of, its not so easy like before, but very precise. i have the same shifter and noticed the same thing. if you find its way to difficult maybe you might have some other problem
my friend had the same issue when he got his SSK in actually, it turned out to be 2 things

1) the shifter needs to broken in
2) the gearbox fluid hadnt been changed/was low

#7 ·
For the location of checking or even changing the fluid lift up the car whether on a lift or enough for you to crawl under. On the tranny you'll notice a bolt sticking out of the bottom that's the drain plug, the fill plug is on the side. It takes automatic transmission fluid. So yea as MPower said if it's hard to shift when cold most of the times it's the fluid needing to be warmed up, but that's normally in older cars that use gear oil as the tranny lubricant. But yea, change it if hasn't been changed and maybe it does need a break in.

#9 ·
My opinion... inferior shifter... thats the problem...

Just an opinion...

It will get better over time.. once it heats up and cools down multiple times... depending upon what kind of bushings you have installed.. or have not installed... derlin and or poly-u will get smother with a heat cycle.

Les

#10 ·
Ljk619 said:
For the location of checking or even changing the fluid lift up the car whether on a lift or enough for you to crawl under. On the tranny you'll notice a bolt sticking out of the bottom that's the drain plug, the fill plug is on the side. It takes automatic transmission fluid. So yea as MPower said if it's hard to shift when cold most of the times it's the fluid needing to be warmed up, but that's normally in older cars that use gear oil as the tranny lubricant. But yea, change it if hasn't been changed and maybe it does need a break in.
Yea, I have no idea if it was ever changed. like stated the car is a 99. I have had the car since oct., when I got it i put the b&m in. its only driven like one day on the weekend. From mid Dec to about feb it never came out the garage so who knows if it has been broken in all the way. Only put bout 2500k on it at the most since oct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.