BMW Werkz banner

2001 325XI - Help

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  chsu74 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Ive been thinking about purchasing a 2001 BMW 325xi lately. The main reason is the AWD which i need in the hazardus conditions in Canada.

Anywayz, i was wondering if there was any cronic problems with that year/model. Ive been hearing from alot of people that the 2000+ 3 series come with a bundle of eletronic problems that would have me in the shop ALOT. Is this true or should i not worry about it.

When buying a new car, whats the best way to see if im buying a electronic DUD or a car i can rely on......

Any information about that year/model would be great...

My two options at the moment are the RSX type S, or the 325xi....and my choice comes down to how reliable the BMW will be

Thanks, Steve

#2 ·
some people have had bad luck with early e46's, but most of them are problem free. there arent many electrical problems that could go wrong, its usually just the same problem that keeps resurfacing such as window regulators, brake lights, and climate control.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Kweli@Sep 11 2003, 07:28 PM
Hey guys,
   Ive been thinking about purchasing a 2001 BMW 325xi lately.  The main reason is the AWD which i need in the hazardus conditions in Canada.

Anywayz, i was wondering if there was any cronic problems with that year/model.  Ive been hearing from alot of people that the 2000+ 3 series come with a bundle of eletronic problems that would have me in the shop ALOT.  Is this true or should i not worry about it.

When buying a new car, whats the best way to see if im buying a electronic DUD or a car i can rely on......

Any information about that year/model would be great...

My two options at the moment are the RSX type S, or the 325xi....and my choice comes down to how reliable the BMW will be

Thanks, Steve
Hi Steve :thumbs ,

I have owned the 325Xi for the past 2 years. Picked it up june 2001 after a 4 month wait. Aside from regular problems associated with 2001 BMWs, auxillary fan replaced twice, there are no real problems with them. If there are, it all would have surfaced by now. By the way, it is not as reliable as Acura for sure but the trade off is a better designed interior, lines and feel of security and saftey knowing its been made of German steel. By the way if you compare Acuras and BMWs from the same year; BMWs rust less.

To compare with RSX-S, you have to rev past 3500RPM to really feel the 200 horses. The torque from BMW speaks for itself. Its a classier ride IMHO. Obviously, you are hearing from someone who is biased, I think you have to test drive them both to see for yourself.

I like the maintainance of oil changes also. Flip the oil filter every 7500 miles and change the oil every 15000miles. You don't have to drain the oil to do that. It runs on Synthetic so the properties of viscosity does not break down like normal organic oil.

1. Because it is AWD, there is no steering feel change. No light steering.
2. I had to replace the tensioner pully twice. It just makes noise during cold and wet weather if you don't. It was replaced under warranty.
3. People have complained about AWD system causing vibration 70 to 80MPH from the rear differential assembeled out of spec by the computer. I did not experience that and it is noticable right away.
4. I had to replace my left Xenon igniter at 15K miles. Have not had a problem since.
5. Replaced front signal light bulbs around 30K miles. I was told the connection was loose on the bulbs and they have fixed that......
6. I followed the tire recommended PSI but have found the fron tire PSI is too low at 35 PSI because the side treads was wearing too quickly. Now they are same as the rear at 40 PSI. Handling is much better also.
7. They revised the transmission starting 2002. I run about 500 to 600RPM higher cruising 70MPH than the 2002s but it gives me more torque. For a 325, smaller engine and heavier car because of AWD setup, it still gives good pep.
8. Get a manual. I drove a loaner with Step and it just sucked so much power out of the engine and was not fun to drive.

Good Luck with your purchase :driving

:cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.