BMW Werkz banner

hell no!!

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  antonk 
#1 ·
I just turned on my car to go to a different work location and I see the damn "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" glowing bright red.

what now....
do I need to go to the stealership? can I fix it myself?
what's wrong?

I don't even know what to do besides knowing I need to do something.

Thanks ahead of time.

#2 ·
get it checked out by a qualified technician...that will keep your baby going for a lot longer - unless you are technically inclined I would advice against going it yourself; maybe the cost of diagnostics may be well worth it so that you either get peace of mind knowing its no biggie or you prevent a major breakdown....

all the best buddy

#3 ·
Have the code read at an Autozone or some other auto parts store. They do it for free. Then come back and let us know what the code was. We can be more helpdful from there.

I hope it is nothign serious. Something as simple as a lose gas cap can throw wth CEL.

#4 ·
It's an OBD I car. Isn't there some kind of pedal trick you can use to get codes?

#5 ·
your car is OBD I. you can pull the code yourself and check it in your bentley manual. to pull the code: turn ignition to 2nd position, pump gas pedal all the way to the floor 5x befor your abs light goes out, this should make your check engine light start flashing in a series of blinks, in which you can determine the code. also, it will probably take a few tries to get it, but don't give up.

#12 ·
BMW Kraft said:
i could not find that thread

Go to the main forum. Under"FAQ/DIY" section, click on "maintenance and troubleshooting". Scroll down til you see "fault codes" by someone named "Furious". There will be the info you seek. BTW, if pushing the pedal down 5 time in 5 seconds doesn't work, try doing it faster or slower, there has to be a certain rhythm.

#13 ·
I was driving on the freeway back home from my aunts house going about 80-100.
As I slow down to take the exit ramp I notice my engine is making noise.
I roll down the window and notice that the same little noise that appeared when the check engine light appeared is now louder. After pulling into my drive way and bringing the vehicle to a complete stop, I notice that it sounds like my grandpa's old ass 1 cylinder diesel engine tractor!!!!

I pop the hood and pull out the oil stick and notice that the engine begins to fail when I do so. When I pop it back in it keeps running, when I pull it out it begins to choke again, but manages to stay alive. I wipe the stick and poke it back in, up and down, twist a few times, and pull it up....

there is no oil in my car

how come my oil light didn't come on?
I asked a friend who knows quite a bit about cars and he said that I probably scratched the cylinders.

fcuk. :mad:

#14 ·
vacuum leak when you tried to measure your oil, perhaps?

try to measure the oil when it's off and cold.

I'd have a hard time imagining an engine truly without oil capable of going more than a few miles.

I'd imagine that your bulb may be burned out for the oil light? Or maybe the oil level sensor is bad?

#15 ·
I lifted the car at a shop my friend works at.
The bottom of the engine is covered in oil and dirt.
I guess she's leaking, which is better than burning oil, but still not good.

Ticking noise is pissing me off, and my 2 mechanic friends said it won't go away. :(

now I'm trying to decide if I should...

a) get rid of her
b) fix her
c) drop in a new engine

#16 ·
if the oil and dirt is only on the bottom of the car , and not running down from somehwere than you probably either have failed oil pan gasket, or there is the possiblity that the oil drain plug could have come loose, worst case is that you hit something and cracked the pan.

i say get it fixed, im not sure what the noise is you speak of, but if its oil related than more than likely you might be ok, but i really cant say because of the amount of time you have driven the car with no oil.

keep us informed

#20 ·
The knocking has stopped!!!!! :D

I changed the oil after 300 miles, and its been around another 300 miles.
As well I have driven my car past the 80 line :(

I used a bit more than the required oil so that the oil pressure would be higher.
Engine seems to be healthier, but still leaks.

I am going to get my engine steam-cleaned within the next few weeks, drive hre around, then remove the fan and look at the engine again to find the source.

If it's an easy fix I'll do it.
If it's an expensive/troublesome fix, then I will just drive her till she dies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.