BMW Werkz banner

Funny smell coming from air vents? Filter?

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  marti5 
#1 ·
I noticed last week when the weather got warmer out here (southern Califormia) that the air coming from my vents when the A/C is cold smells like stagnant urine or something (not quite that bad, but it's not pleasant). Should I replace some kind of filter? Where is it, and how do I do this?

Ideas?

#2 ·
it is mould

turn your a.c on full blast....and turn the temperature settings upto full(32degrees )
leave it for a few minutes...then turn the temp setting down to its minimum setting and run it for a few minutes

i also sprayed some disinfectant thru the filter element under the hood...

#5 ·
lift up the front hood(bonnet)

just below the screen wipers is a black plastic shroud
it has 3 screws coming from it
open these screws
lift up the shroud
and there is a white elemt(unless it is filthy)

pull out this element

and spray some spray disinfectant down there...make sure a/c is on full

i do mine once a yr,,and have had no adverse reaction

the hardest thing for u will be finding the element :):)

#9 ·
Well, the smell isn't as bad, but still there. I think I'll just get a new filter soon. Meanwhile, I am stupid and forgot which way the filter goes in the housing. The owner's manual just says "Take to a certified technician, blah, blah blah..."

Fuzzy side up, or down?

#10 ·
if it isnt as bad,,,,do it again next week....and run it on full hot then full cold a few more times....it will go away...

also you can get9here in the uk) some a/c disinfectant from various car centres...

it sprays disinfectant into the cabin...and with the a/c on full and in recirculation mode.....it sucks in the air from the cabin and eeps recirculating it for 10 mins

try and find some of that stuff....

ps serrations go down

#11 ·
Storme's the man. I didn't get what you said about

"also you can get9here in the uk) some a/c disinfectant from various car centres..."

What do you mean? I did use a generic disinfecant, but only on cold A/C, not hot. I'll try again this weekend.

Oh, which way does the filter go in? Fuzzy side up or down? I put it facing upward (I think that's how it was in before). I want to make sure the cover seals correctly and no air can get around the filter.

Does anyone have a photo of the properly installed filter? My owners manual doesn't mention how to remove this or install it.

Ciao,
Ari

#12 ·
http://www.motabitz.com/index.php?cPath=160_161

try this link,,,,,its a uk site...but is for illustration purposes....it is a spray disinfectant....and it goes inside the car....

u press the button and it releases the disinfectant and a nice smell,,for 10 minutes...your a/c is set to full heat and full fan and recirculation mode for 10 mins

#13 ·
Nothing is worse than the smell of an E39 5 series climate control system. The E46 shares some of its bad habits. Basically, the problem is mold; on the E39 I'm pretty sure it grows on the evaporator. The disinfectant method offered above is the cheapest way to deal with it.

#17 ·
I am getting an oily smell from mine when the temp setting is high - 21°C. Just as one will get when you accidently spill oil on the manifold, when topping up the engine oil, and don’t clean it up. Once the car is moving the smell disappears. I will try your advice and remove the element and give it all a good clean. Just hope it is not something else serious. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.