BMW Werkz banner

Any info on how to install a OBC on a 318ti?

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kyle_baker 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this site...I just bought a 1997 318ti active...I love it. It has cruise control but did not come with the on-board computer...
It just has the digital clock.
I friend of mine gave me what appears to be the on-board computer component...the one that would fit into the same socket as the one the digital clock is now sitting....
Long story short, is it possible to install an OBC into this 318ti, again it did not come with one...and is it as easy as just swapping out the clock and plugging in this OBC in it's place or are there other parts involved? Any info at all would really help...Thanks, Glenn

#2 ·
I believe there are three different OBC's. A seven, and eleven, and an eighteen button one. Also I believe each has it's own wiring, especially the big one. So the short answer, I'm not sure. Check to see if there is any extra wiring in the dash outlet when you pull the clock.

#3 ·
the OBC should look similar to what i labeled in the pic below (plus or minus a few buttons)...

..if it looks very similar to this then yes it is the OBC. there is a guide at pelicanparts.com that helps with the OBC installations, but it shows you how to swap from an 11-Button OBC to a 18-Button OBC. maybe it will be somewhat helpful tho...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techarticles/E36-OBD_Convert/E36-OBD_Convert.htm

good luck!

#4 ·
More regarding the OBC

Hi, thanks very much for writing back. The OBC that I have is only a 2 button one...and it's much small than the one in the above pic...the radio takes up the left side and the OBC takes the right...
I tried adding an attachment, hopefully it'll work....
Thanks again for the help...it's fantastic to find a place where people know their stuff!
Glenn Electronics Technology Audio equipment Vehicle Electronic device

#6 ·
is there a peice below your ac unit that looks more like the pic i attached above? i think the peice you have is just a clock/date unit.

here is what mine looks like all together...

radio and ac unit...

and the 18-button OBC unit and a cubby hole below...

...if the peice you got from a friend looks the same as the peice by your radio then i would image it would just plug right up the same as the other. but i don't think they made a 2-button OBC. If you don't have a unit with either ??? 7, 11, or 18 buttons i think, then you may not have an OBC. hope the pics help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.